Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Don't forget Flea & Tick Apps before Potomac

We have had ticks year round here, especially with the extra mild winter. For those of you who wouldn't normally think of it, you may want to treat your dogs before Potomac

Re: Don't forget Flea & Tick Apps before Potomac

For those of us who don't normally apply it - any particular product recommended? Frontline Plus, or ???

I don't normally use any flea or tick meds as it is not an issue where I reside.

What do you suggest?

Don't want to recommend anything in particular and be responsible if the dog has a reaction! But here are some items available at the pet store, and they all have pretty much the same ingredients.
Biospot
Frontline
Frontline Plus
Defend

Thanks for the heads up on this Anne - just called my vet and they suggested Frontline Plus or Advantage - and I understand that one of these is available at Costco....

Just saw Frontline Plus at Costco today for $38.99 for 3 applications.

I bought Frontline Plus. I don't normally use this since we don't see alot of ticks. How soon should I apply it before the show?

Anne
We have had ticks year round here, especially with the extra mild winter. For those of you who wouldn't normally think of it, you may want to treat your dogs before Potomac

Thank you so much for the heads up. I thought to give the Bordatella shot a few months ago, but didn't think about ticks. I just applied K9 Advantix. It not only kills ticks, but it repels them and keeps them from biting. It also kills and repels mosquitoes which carry heart worm.

Looking forward to meeting up with everyone real soon

I don't normally use flea/tick products either. Have a hopefully-pregnant bitch at home (she's obviously not coming) - should I not allow her to be around treated dogs before we go? I'll quarantine the dogs that have been to the show after we get back, but not sure if she can be around Frontline-treated dogs now?

FYI many of the flea products leave an "oil" type film in the coat. I would not suggest bio spot as that is a bad one. I realize it's an issue but wanted to mention

Breeder 007
FYI many of the flea products leave an "oil" type film in the coat. I would not suggest bio spot as that is a bad one. I realize it's an issue but wanted to mention

Precisely why I put the application on yesterday. It's good for a month and by show time it will be evenly distributed and the oily part where applied will be gone.

Because Bordetella seems to run thru that show...PLEASE get your dogs the intranasal booster NOW!!!!!!!

Breeder
I don't normally use flea/tick products either. Have a hopefully-pregnant bitch at home (she's obviously not coming) - should I not allow her to be around treated dogs before we go? I'll quarantine the dogs that have been to the show after we get back, but not sure if she can be around Frontline-treated dogs now?

I, too, have a pregnant bitch. I just kept her away from the treated dog. Also, don't forget to keep your returning dogs quarantined away from from the general population/pregnant dogs when you get back. There seems like a lot germs going around at this show.

If you have cats who closely interact with your dogs, check to make sure what ever brand flea/tick prevention you apply is safe around cats.