Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Yikes!!!!!!!

http://www.dogster.com/the-scoop/groundbreaking-court-ruling-takes-dogs-beyond-property-status-major-pet-industry-groups-not-happy

Or TINY: http://tinyurl.com/6ufxzod

still property, but special property, Re: Yikes!!!!!!!

A family dog has been ruled worth at least as much as sentimentally valuable but junky heirlooms. That is not as scary as taking away the right to own them or making them furry children nor as scary as going to the old idea that they need no protection from cruelty (a different subject). The article continues:

"Ironically, in some instances dogs have not been given the same value even as some forms of property. If someone destroys family heirlooms that are of great sentimental value, even though the heirlooms may be nearly financially worthless, damages can be awarded because of their sentimental value. The new court ruling, for which the appellate justices cited a 120-year-old Texas Supreme Court decision as precedent, gives pets at least the same value as other items that are of negligible monetary value but great intrinsic worth."

I am not familiar with that 120 yr old court case: any Texan legal eagles care to weigh in? Thanks.

What seems to me to be most worrying is the possibility that lawsuits to compensate for the owners suffering could extend to veterinarians. (And anyone else for that matter.) If it does, we would see the same thing happen to them that has happened to our doctors. The cost of liability insurance has gone through the roof, probably costing a doctor more than most people on this forum earn in a year. Dog ownership would not be affordable to many people. Plus, some dogs would go without appropriate care if it becomes too costly. It is scary.

Plus, now that I think about it, what if one of us sells a puppy that turns out to have a fatal disorder. Could we be sued for the pain & suffering endured by the family?

As far as I understand it, if we sell a puppy that has any issue whatsoever, we can and we will be sued for pain, suffering, and the intristic value of the puppy. I agree that our dogs and puppies are not to be looked at as 'property' but this law takes pet ownership to a scary level. If they pass this law it is going to be just like what PETA is trying to do. Like everyone is saying, vet costs will be crazy high so people won't be able to own pets. Exactly like what PETA and HSUS is trying to do...