Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
"Seedy yellow puppy poop"

My 10 day old litter has yellow, "seedy" diarrhea for the past 3-4 days. Otherwise, they are doing well but are gaining slower than I would like to see although they have all nearly doubled their birth weights.Gains vary and some days one or 2 of them have very slight gains.

I have been giving them Florentero to add beneficial bacteria for the last 3 days but it has made no difference. My vet says not to intervene yet if they, otherwise,seem healthy.

I will be worming them shortly and "mom" has just been wormed with Panacur. It is not unusual for me to see this in a litter but not usually this young and it is concerning. Anyone with experience or comments?

Re: "Seedy yellow puppy poop"

Is the stool a bit formed, yellow like mustard and seedy looking?

I usually see this earlier in the litter but it is milk curd so to speak (the seeds you are seeing).

Often the mothers milk is a bit rich and the pups need to adjust.

But as I said, I usually see this earlier in the litter.

hoping others will chime in.

If you are concerned take a stool sample to the vet.

If they are gaining weight and sleeping well - I would not overreact to the stools. Sounds like they are eating alot and just causing this seedy stool

The puppies are eating too much. Other than controlling their food intake, which can be very difficult, there is nothing to do. They'll grow out of it.

I am newer to breeding, but my first thought was that they are probably just eating a bit too much. I was glad that was affirmed by 2 others. :)

Thanks everyone. As I said, I have had this in older litters but never one this young. If they are eating too much, I would think they would be gaining like previous litters but this litter is gaining much slower. Perhaps that is still the problem though????

Yes, the problem is that when they have too much milk, some pass to the intestines without been worked by the gastric juices. Then whole milk goes into the intestines, and that overfeeds/unbalance bacteria producing an overpopulation of bacteria, hence the curds and possibly diarrhea. The younger they are, the more problems it will cause. That's why you are seeing a lack of weight gain in the puppies.

So, by that logic "breeder 24", you are saying giving less opportunity for feeding is better? I worry about doing that simply because, with little weight gain as it is, I fear dehydration. Thoughts?

Frustrated
So, by that logic "breeder 24", you are saying giving less opportunity for feeding is better? I worry about doing that simply because, with little weight gain as it is, I fear dehydration. Thoughts?
No, I think you are trying to read something into this that's not there. The explanation is that with too much milk, it by-passes digestion, milk curdles, and weigh gain might be affected. The original poster did not say the pups were not thriving, just not gaining as much as her past experience. The general thought is that you don't do anything to change anything.

Of course, you could also do a little pup-rotation on your own. Bigger ones are removed from the teat, smaller ones are encouraged on as much as possible.

Use your brain. It's not one way or the other.

Forgive me if I am mistaken, but doesn't the quality of the milk change at around 10 days, more rich, and that this is the cause of the mustard-y stool?

This started in my pups at 6 days old ....... worming tomorrow and will likely give them tylan. (tubing).

Worming at 6 days old? They are eating too much and depleting the bile.. Let mom in there once every 2-3 hours and it will turn brown and firm up. Stop giving everything they don't need. Just back up a bit they'll be fine.

If there is diarrhea, then yes, feeding less will help regulate their digestion. Feeding more to the little ones will aggravate the diarrhea. ALL the puppies should eat less. I'm not saying that this is the cure of the problem your puppies are having, but it sounds like a classic case of overfeeding.
I hope they are doing better by now.

I did not say I was worming at 6 days old. I said they had diarrhea at 6 days old. Wormed at 2 weeks old.

In consultation with my vets, we did worm as well as reduce feeding amounts. No change! We then tried scour solution but no change. Am now trying tylan powder ..... will monitor and update later. Thanks to all for your comments.Pups are gaining and are otherwise healthy. They are 2 to almost 3X their birth weights.

Would love to hear what your outcome was and what ended up working for you.

Frustrated
In consultation with my vets, we did worm as well as reduce feeding amounts. No change! We then tried scour solution but no change. Am now trying tylan powder ..... will monitor and update later. Thanks to all for your comments.Pups are gaining and are otherwise healthy. They are 2 to almost 3X their birth weights.

Yep, eating too much... we call it "piggy puppy poop".

My 5 year old dog has the same problem and has no milk. I am now really confused after reading all of the responses based on puppies.