Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
bad dogs with bad owners

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can keep my neighbors {across the road}two dogs from coming across to my house? They get all my dogs barking(mine are fenced in}. and cause comotion barking at all the neighbors while they in their own yards. This little sh*t manchester terrier actually came at me today.
The owners are druggie drunks and can hardly stand up straight half the time. I don't want to start doggie trouble since I have a few of my own (bunch) but mine are mostly quiet and I strive for that. My husband is loading the sling shot.

Re: bad dogs with bad owners

Hose? Not too hard if the dog is small. I think I'd have some flowers and bushes to water!

Rocker
My husband is loading the sling shot.

I hope he's not planning on aiming for the dogs ... if you said it in jest it's not funny.

Call your county animal control?

Do you have a leash law? Call the police? Talk to the druggies/drunkies? I think I would try hard to talk to them as much as it is probably fruitless before you call the police. Let them know that you are willing to take that step... they are probably not anxious to have the police at their house if they indeed are participating in illegal activities. However, is there an ordinance in your town regarding how many dogs you may own? You don't want to call attention to yourself either...

we live in rural area with no lease law and one animal control person for a large area.
every bulldog mix and hunting dog roams our roads.

I have to keep my animals safe from harm and disease, there is a separation fence so road dogs can not be nose to nose with my labs, so if they head up the driveway and wont leave with us yelling at them the
BB gun comes out, that is just they way it is....

I'm a little passive aggressive. Pick the dogs up in your car and drive them a few towns away and drop them off at the shelter as strays.

Forget the slingshot and load the shotgun. I have 0 tolerance for dogs repeatedly running loose anymore after pulling two pitbulls off one of my labs in my fenced in yard, with a third one trying to rip his leg off.

Shoot over their heads the first time, if you prefer.

Simple. Bring your dogs inside.

Don't do anything illegal--like take your neighbors' property (dogs) to another town or shoot at your neighbors' property.

I realize that my suggestion is going to sound harsh, but when you walk into your own backyard and find one of your dogs on the ground with three pit bulls ripping him apart, it changes your perspective.
In many states, shooting a dog on your property that is or has attacked or threatened to attack is not illegal. Check the laws in your area.
I see no reason to restrict your dogs activities ("bring your dogs inside") because of the lack of control your neighbor has or even attempts to have on their dogs.
Go through all the motions...talk to your neighbors, call animal control, call the police. But be prepared to protect yourself and your dogs.
Don't catch the dogs and drop them off where they just become someone else's problem.

One of the families I sold a puppy to a few yrs back was taking Ollie out for a neighborhood walk when 2 Pitbulls attacked Ollie. The two dogs were going after Ollie's front legs and neck. Ollie's owner, a small female laid over Ollie on the ground in order to protect her dog while the pit bull's owner just stood there in shock. The police showed up 10 minutes later . The pitbulls went back home to their owners from another town and no files were charged due to the laws in their town. Ollie and her owner were diagnosed as suffering from PTSD. Both were hospitalized from their injuries. She told me that had she had a gun, she would have killed those 2 pit bulls.

What about a hot wire on either side? that would send them away and no harm done. inexpensive too.

it is obvious that some of our posters are not aware of the amount of wandering dogs in the rural areas.

it is not like the suburban neighborhoods where a wandering dog is the next door families loving pet that got out.

I deal with dogs that run up and down the roads all day long. I deal with dogs other people have dropped off on our dirt road.

You can tell which ones are the lost pet and need some help getting back home and the ones that are just out running because there are no leash laws and their owners dont give a crap.

I have every right to shoot dogs on my property if they are threatening my livestock or dogs so it is not illegal here.

Susan
I realize that my suggestion is going to sound harsh, but when you walk into your own backyard and find one of your dogs on the ground with three pit bulls ripping him apart, it changes your perspective.

The reason to bring your dogs inside is their safety.
Why would you insist on keeping them outside when outside is dangerous? I am not questioning your absolute RIGHT to keep them outside if you want. I am questioning your wisdom in doing so. Your neighbors will still live next door to you if you kill their dog.

If you are not able to "love your neighbor as yourself," at least remember that your neighbor is likely to find a way to take revenge if you harm their property. If you swat a hornets' nest, you will get stung. And if swatting a hornets nest is illegal in your state, you will pay hell trying to get legal support for doing so.

Oh good grief.
I'm not swatting at a hornets nest, but I will be damned if I am going to lock myself and my dogs away because some fool can't control their own lives or dogs. Nor will I stand by while some dog is threatening my loved ones, including my dogs.
My dogs don't live outside, but I'm not going to restrict them from going out inside a fenced enclosure in my backyard because a neighbor refuses to take responsibility for their dogs.
You don't bring a knife to a gun fight and you don't run and hide from idiots.
Oh, and one final note. My husband made our neighborhood safer by eliminating one of those pit bulls. I think he deserves a medal. If he had not kept a cool head and good aim, the buried dog would have been one of mine.

Hurting or killing dogs is not the solution!

BB guns? Really? Why is violence the solution to this problem? The OP mentioned these dogs are OWNED by people who are drunks/druggies. Are you kidding me? Besides being immoral, cruel and irresponsible to shoot/kill someone else's dogs, you are asking for trouble from unstable people who are substance abusers = not operating in reality. What will they plan to do to your dogs after you incur a vet bill for them or kill their dogs?
Whatever happened to calling the authorities? Every county in the United States has an animal control department or police/sherrif presence for this type of situation. If you do not get satisfaction from this, knock on doors and get neighbors involved to form a group to address this problem. Surely you are not the only ones who are inconvenienced by these free-roaming dogs.
You have a responsibility to pursue legal/ethical means of dealing with this problem. If you have exhausted all legal means of resolving this, and nothing changes, then get some humane traps and take the dogs into animal control as strays. Violence/aggression against animals or people is NEVER the answer. This is 2012, folks!

Susan
Oh good grief.
I'm not swatting at a hornets nest, but I will be damned if I am going to lock myself and my dogs away because some fool can't control their own lives or dogs. Nor will I stand by while some dog is threatening my loved ones, including my dogs.
My dogs don't live outside, but I'm not going to restrict them from going out inside a fenced enclosure in my backyard because a neighbor refuses to take responsibility for their dogs.
You don't bring a knife to a gun fight and you don't run and hide from idiots.
Oh, and one final note. My husband made our neighborhood safer by eliminating one of those pit bulls. I think he deserves a medal. If he had not kept a cool head and good aim, the buried dog would have been one of mine.

I'm just glad that I am not one of your dogs, your neighbors, or your neighbors' dogs. You scare me.

"I'm just glad that I am not one of your dogs, your neighbors, or your neighbors' dogs. You scare me."

You obviously are clueless to happens to dogs in in a dog fight. It's ugly, horrifying, destructive and will change how you think about stray dogs FOREVER. Tendons are ripped, bones are crushed, trachea's severed, ears torn off, skulls are exposed, and intestines spill out. Too graphic for you? BTDT, will not let it happen again.

Yes, this 2012. The age of Pets Are People Too. What a load of b*** s***. Your dog comes after mine with the intent to kill, I will do everything in my power to kill it first. Then I will take you to court for injuring my dog and sue the hell out of you.

anon
"Your dog comes after mine with the intent to kill, I will do everything in my power to kill it first. Then I will take you to court for injuring my dog and sue the hell out of you.

I bring my dogs inside long before bad outcomes have any chance of happening. You need to get a grip on your anger.

breeder101

I bring my dogs inside long before bad outcomes have any chance of happening. You need to get a grip on your anger.[/quote]

Ever been ambushed? Do you have any clue how fast it can happen? Doubt it. Ever watch a dog going into shock after an attack? Struggling to breath with a hole in their trachea, knowing that you have to carry your 90lb dog to your car and still have to drive to the vets? Not pleasant. My anger is towards the a**hats that own these dogs.

Re: Hurting or killing dogs is not the solution!

I can't believe what I'm hearing!
Whatever happened to calling the authorities? Every county in the United States has an animal control department or police/sherrif presence for this type of situation. If you do not get satisfaction from this, knock on doors and get neighbors involved to form a group to address this problem. Surely you are not the only ones who are inconvenienced by these free-roaming dogs.
You have a responsibility to pursue legal/ethical means of dealing with this problem. If you have exhausted all legal means of resolving this, and nothing changes, then get some humane traps and take the dogs into animal control as strays. Violence/aggression against animals or people is NEVER the answer. This is 2012, folks!

It might be 2012 but contrary to what you think there are many areas that do not have an animal control department, not any leash laws, and you are on your own. As an example, our county has none of the above and in fact closed their pound due to lack of funding. There is a no kill shelter but cannot take any more due to overcrowding. Two surrounding counties are in the same situation.

I would be happy to have Susan as my neighbor. She doesn't scare me at all.
My next door neighbors have two dogs - a Rott and a Shepherd. The Shepherd got into another neighbor's yard (went under their fence), attacked their dog and ripped his stomach open before the attack could be stopped. The dog survived.
The people across the street have a pit bull that needs a prong collar to be under control. They let their 7 year old walk the damn dog.
Would I shoot either dog if it was attacking one of mine? You bet. In a heartbeat.
My neighbors are very nice people. But dogs are dogs. They get out sometimes. And yes, they know my concerns.
Animal control is useless after the fact.

breeder101
anon
"Your dog comes after mine with the intent to kill, I will do everything in my power to kill it first. Then I will take you to court for injuring my dog and sue the hell out of you.

I bring my dogs inside long before bad outcomes have any chance of happening. You need to get a grip on your anger.

I hope and pray that the tragedies that befall many responsible pet owners due to the reckless disregard of those who do not take the care and safety of their own animals seriously does not ever happen to you or your pets, breeder101. Because if it does,you would then realize how quickly your attitude would change.

Susan
breeder101
anon

I hope and pray that the tragedies that befall many responsible pet owners due to the reckless disregard of those who do not take the care and safety of their own animals seriously does not ever happen to you or your pets, breeder101. Because if it does,you would then realize how quickly your attitude would change.

HAHAHA. You think that living an uncommonly blessed life is the only way anyone can control their anger and act in the best long term interest of their animals. Well, think again. I live in a rural county with no leash law and no license law and a totally inadequate animal control. My neighbors are regularly shooting off their guns and their dogs often run loose. Sorry, I've already been tempted into violence by people better than you. And I took the rational road. I'm not willing to put my dogs at risk so that I can prove that I have a right to leave them outside.

Breeder
What about a hot wire on either side? that would send them away and no harm done. inexpensive too.

Good idea!

Re: gotta do what you gotta do

For the average wandering pet I would have a water gun that shoots a long way. Fill it w/ vinegar water and shoot the dogs w/ it when they come near your property. For dangerous aggressive dogs a bb gun (or better).

One thing is important. Document these dogs on your property and you trying to chase them off. Either via photos or video. Keep a journal just in case someone objects to what you do to their dog on your property.

Seriously?

Her dog was being viciously mauled in her own yard, what was she supposed to do, beg the attackers to back off? One less dangerous dog to potentially attack and kill another dog, or a child.

You haven't seen the pictures of her dog, even after he was pieced back together by the vet. He would be dead if drastic action had not been taken.

Mean dogs move fast. How can a person just "bring them in", they have to go out to potty and exercise, they aren't goldfish.

Rocker
Does anyone have any ideas on how I can keep my neighbors {across the road}two dogs from coming across to my house? They get all my dogs barking(mine are fenced in}. and cause comotion barking at all the neighbors while they in their own yards. This little sh*t manchester terrier actually came at me today.
The owners are druggie drunks and can hardly stand up straight half the time. I don't want to start doggie trouble since I have a few of my own (bunch) but mine are mostly quiet and I strive for that. My husband is loading the sling shot.

Oh for heaven's sake, people. Above is the OP's original post.

The OP has a "bunch" of dogs behind a fence who bark at the neighbor's dogs when they are loose. The OP mentions only that the neighbor has a Manchester Terrier (which usually weighs less than 22 lbs). No mention is made of any of the neighbor's dogs trying to get into the OP's fencing or attacking the OP's dogs. There is absolutely no mention of living in a rural area.

Barking is the problem. And the OP doesn't want to stir up more trouble with the neighbors than the OP already has. And a sling shot (much less a gun) is not going to do anything for neighborhood relationships.

Rocker
This little sh*t manchester terrier actually came at me today.

Sounds like more than just barking to me.

Susan
Rocker
This little sh*t manchester terrier actually came at me today.

Sounds like more than just barking to me.

And what exactly does "came at me today" mean? I think it means that the OP is justifying the use of the sling shot on a toy dog.

Call a Manchester Terrier rescue group, see if they can take the dogs and then tell your neighbors that you have friends who just lost their beloved terrier. Tell them that if they ever wanted to get rid of theirs, your friend would take both dogs in an instant and give them a wonderful home. Your neighbors just might take you up on it....

Or....watch Home Alone again and have some fun!!! Sprinklers, sticky mouse paper, a squawk box used to keep crows out of cornfields....all should provide hours of entertainment for you and your family...........

breeder101
Rocker

Oh for heaven's sake, people. Above is the OP's original post.

The OP has a "bunch" of dogs behind a fence who bark at the neighbor's dogs when they are loose. The OP mentions only that the neighbor has a Manchester Terrier (which usually weighs less than 22 lbs). No mention is made of any of the neighbor's dogs trying to get into the OP's fencing or attacking the OP's dogs. There is absolutely no mention of living in a rural area.

Barking is the problem. And the OP doesn't want to stir up more trouble with the neighbors than the OP already has. And a sling shot (much less a gun) is not going to do anything for neighborhood relationships.

I think you need to read what the OP wrote, and then read what you claim the OP said.
The OP said that the "neighbor's two dogs" cause the commotion, not the OP's dogs.. The neighbor's dogs bark at the other neighbors while they are in their own yards not, as you wrote that,"The OP has a "bunch" of dogs behind a fence who bark at the neighbor's dogs when they are loose."
Before you get all preachy at someone, read what they said and don't go making things up. People who do this cause 99%of all the nastiness on this forum. Learn to read, learn how to understand what you read, and learn to express yourself properly.

breeder101
You scare me.

I scare you? Let me tell you what scares me.

People who obtain strong-willed breeds because they think it makes them look more macho.

People who let those same strong-willed breeds produce more unchalleged and untrained puppies.

People who keep half the litter because if two is good, five is better and don't properly train, socialize, or discipline any of that, now, pack of dogs.

People who let this, or any dogs, loose to roam, range, and terrorize their neighborhood.

Those people scare me. But you know who scares me even more? People, like yourself, who run and hide behind closed doors; too afraid to confront the problem in their own front yard, and too condemning of those who do confront it.

"Evil prevails when good men stay silent."

Not in my yard.

I got the best revenge on a neighbor who insisted on letting his dog run loose.

I was having my septic pumped and there was a minor but very smelly spill. Said dog came wandering over and I was about to chase him off my property yet again, when I thought better of it.

The dog came over to the spill, and proceeded to gleefully roll his whole body in it. Then he continued on his way.

Karma.