Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Favorite Slip Leads for Showing?

Hi all! I have almost always used snake chains combined with a snap or loop lead for showing, but I've had the opportunity to try out a couple of slip leads and now I'm finding I'm liking them more and more. They just seem more adjustable & giving. So, I've been looking into acquiring a few from either Mendota, Alvalley, or Weathertop. However, before I order (and pay shipping), I just thought I'd ask if anyone has had any favorites- either among those three or another company? Also, any particular favorite width or length? And does sticking with the more traditional colors (black, chocolate/brown, etc) tend to be best vs non-traditional colors (blue, purple, red, green, etc)? (I'll admit, most of my snap & loop leads are on the colorful side with beads, etc. and I tend to like that, but I'm not opposed to going more traditional this time around.) Thanks in Advance!

Re: Favorite Slip Leads for Showing?

I like the Weathertop leashes personally. I am not familiar with the first brand you mentioned. I did buy two from Allvalley and didn't like them at all. Longer is better so you can drape the leash and stand well back from your dog. Best to use the same color as the dog or close to it. A different color visually breaks the flow of the dog when the judge is looking at it. It is distracting. The best leashes were the nice bridle leather ones you could find years ago. No longer available but very nice.

Re: Favorite Slip Leads for Showing?

I don't like most nylon leads - they hurt my hands. I have a leather lead from Hogan Leather that I love. The Weathertop leather leads looked great and well made. Don't get a really long one - you don't want a fistful of leather in your hand. Long leads are for German Shepherds and toy dogs!