Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Pet food deliveries suspended, unknown how many brands involved!

Many brands might be involved, as Diamond makes many pet foods! There are anecdotal reports of dogs with persistent diarrhea and pancreatic problems improving after being switched off the foods. Now this voluntary suspension of delivery, which is one step before a recall, I think.

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-news/diamond-pet-foods-suspends-shipments/

Diamond Pet Food suspends ALL shipments from SC plant. This is after the recall last week for Salmonella.
"It’s not known which brands are produced at the affected facility."

A list from another site, truthaboutpetfood site:
Foods made by Diamond Pet Food (though not confirmed to be made at the South Carolina Plant)
Solid Gold
Canidae/Felidae
Natural Balance
Kirkland (Costco Brand)
Chicken Soup
Taste of the Wild
4-Health (Tractor Supply Brand)

Be aware that many other foods are manufactured by Diamond, including Taste of the Wild, 4Health (Tractor Supply), Kirkland, Costco's, Chicken Soup, etc. One site lists Solid Gold as being made at the MO and CA plants, but who knows if the third Diamond plant, the closed one, is involved? A friend has had dogs refusing to eat Solid Gold lamb based foods, which sounded too much like the Diamond Naturals Lamb problems to me. She switched foods, and the dogs are now fine. Who knows if it was coincidental or not.

Taste of the Wild is one of the products made at the temporarily closed Diamond plant it seems, the SC plant from which deliveries of product have been suspended.
From the Taste of the Wild website:

http://www.tasteofthewildpetfood.com/faq/#127

"WHERE ARE YOUR FOODS MADE?
"We have three manufacturing facilities, all located in the United States. One is located in California, one in Missouri and one in South Carolina."

Be careful out there! Let us know if you find which foods are involved.

Re: Pet food deliveries suspended, unknown how many brands involved!

As I was saying on the last thread........much better to catch it before it leaves the plant than after it is on the shelves or in your pantry.

Wellness, Holistic Select, made at problematic SC plant

http://www.dogfoodscoop.com/wellness-dog-food.html

The plot thickens.
My guys just finished a bag of Wellness Just for Puppy,which one would think came from NY, but who knows?
If Wellness is made there, is Holistic Select?

"Wellness dog food is owned by Wellpet LLC, based in Tewksbury, Massachusetts. Wellpet is the result of a merger in early 2009 between Eagle Pack dog food and Old Mother Hubbard dog food (the owners of the Wellness brand).

"Their dog foods are manufactured by: Hagen Pet Foods, Waverly, NY; CJ Foods, Bern, KS; American Nutrition, Inc, Ogden, UT; and Diamond Pet Foods, Gaston, SC"

Golly, I think I'm going to start cooking again! Now if I had a ranch, right near NYC, raw would be a better option. . . .

Charlotte

TQM
As I was saying on the last thread........much better to catch it before it leaves the plant than after it is on the shelves or in your pantry.

Some of the bags were on the shelves in my store and NOT from this plant but had to be pulled because they had the lot numbers.

Glad I have stuck with Proplan for 15 years.

ProPlan has not been immune to problems, such as the withdrawal of the original chicken (now ALS) or the contamination in 2006-2007. The canned Purina was one of the foods that killed my Cavalier's kidneys. I do use Performance and the ALS in my mix and rotation. It may not be sexy, but it works well for many.

Interesting, but the diamond website recall info only speaks of the naturals lamb & rice formual being affected. Think I would trust the source of info rather than all of the other sites for recall info.

I work in the "industry" so I can tell you this issue has still not been resolved.
I got word direct from our Diamond distributor and my corporate offices that Diamond has suspended ALL shipments from this plant. They were having meeting with FDA, etc and working through details.
We still have not had any feedback on the matter as it still seems to be in limbo.

Natural Balance issues, was Re: Pet food deliveries suspended, unknown how many brands involved!

Kim, a rescuer I know in another state feeds Natural Balance. Should that person also be concerned, in spite of reassurances to the contrary from Natural Balance?
So far, they are buying the blah-blah that anything of that brand is retested in CA after being made, even if in SC. What they mailed him looks like doublespeak to me, but I am not an industry expert. I'm just someone who has lost a dog to bad food during industry chaos a few years ago. Thanks.
That rescuer received the following from Natural Balance:

"We appreciate your questions and thank you for contacting us. Natural Balance products are made in our own plant in Southern California as well as select co-manufacturers across the country. This includes Diamond’s South Carolina plant. Diamond has been in contact with us and has told us that Natural Balance products are not involved in their voluntary recall. The only product affected is Diamond’s Naturals Lamb Meal & Rice.

"Diamond Pet Foods has placed a hold on their production, because they are implementing a hold and test program as a means to improve their ability to screen for potential contaminants. Natural Balance has been doing this kind of testing since 2007.

"Natural Balance’s hold and test program means that once product arrives in our warehouse, we hold the product and test every lot in house for nine contaminants, which includes salmonella. No product is released for sale until all test results meet our specifications. We post all results on our website at http://bwc.naturalbalanceinc.com/. Also please review the video on that page that describes our lab and our testing."

Natural Balance issues, was Re: Pet food deliveries suspended, unknown how many brands involved!

I have lost all faith let me tell you that. I try to be objective. I try not to buy into the hype. But SOMETHING is going on!!! Would I trust NB brands....not sure. I have my own "personal" thoughts on that one as well.
I am in the business of recommending foods to people and I am just not comfortable at this point leading people to anything but Purina, Science Diet and Royal Canin.
I feel the same way right now. Doublespeak.
I had a client come into my store and wanted to return Diamond food that was not effected by this "recall". She almost decided not to return it then she asked me what would I do...I said RETURN IT! So I gave her money back for a half used bag!!
I recently switched ALL my dogs to SD.

My own personal experience with NB. Well I started feeding NB Duck and Potato in Dec of last year. Within two weeks I had one VERY sick dog. Liver ALT's were slightly elevated. We treated her with antibiotic amd she was fine those 10 days on them. Then after about 2 weeks off meds she crashed hard! Her liver ALTs were over 2000!
I had my bag of food tested by NB. Something more people need to do. Bitching about it is not enough. You can't make claims that a food made your dog sick if you don't follow protocol. She called me back from NB and said the food was fine and she would email me the results.
What made me uncomfortable was that it did not say my food was clear of any Mycotoxins. It said:
"Below FDA Level Of Concern" Not that I trust FDA all that much either. Or "Below European Union Level Of Concern" But what the heck does that mean!!?? Below? On all 5 toxins? So they all had minimal but acceptable amounts??
This did not sit well with me!

So yeah I find it hard to run a business were almost half my sales are pet food and comfortably recommend anything other than those three I mentioned above.

Sure NB may have these tests but what about human error. Diamond is suppose to have the 151 quality check according to their site!! As my assistant said, "someone was asleep on the job that day".
With all the "brands" that come out of one plant I don't know how they keep quality at its highest.
I have personally seen how SD does it and was terribly impressed. Overwhelmingly impressed! This company is based on science. Veterinary Science. Most of the Veterinarians are also Scientists. Nutritionist. Geneticist!
I find this all so frustrating!
I am off work today so I logged in remotely from home. Still not update or word on if this has been resolved or production resumed.