Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Discoid Lupus

One of my pups has been diagnosed with Discoid Lupus. I'm wondering if anyone on this list has had experience with this condition. All information would be greatly appreciated. I've done a lot of research on the internet... but would like to hear from anyone on this list if they have had any experiences and what they found was the best course of treatment and/or outcome.

Re: Discoid Lupus

We bought a choco puppy from a well known breeder years ago who developed Discoid Lupus when she was around 6 months old. We were told there wasn't anything we could do to stop it. We placed her in a pet home when she was over 2 yrs old. Her new family took her to their vet who told them there really isn't a treatment to get rid of it. It didn't cause her any discomfort but cosmetically, her nose look horrible. When we had her with us, I used to rub special cream on her nose but she would lick it off

I have a 14 yr old rescue lab that has Discoid Lupus.
Symtoms started about 1 1/2 yrs ago.
Bloody peeling nose, crumbling mis-haped nails, ridges on her pads and now crusting around her eyes.
Have been told that eventually it will affect her internal organs and she will go into renal failure.
I put a prescription cream on her nose and give her Vit E daily. Vet said that because of her age , he would not recommend steroids. If she were younger there might be something to give more relief but not at her age.
Since your guy is younger, there may be other treatments.
I wish you well with you sweet lab.

I have known a few dogs with discoid lupus. First of all to diagnose it properly a tissue sample must be taken from the nose and sent to a lab as there are other things that can cause the same symptoms. Secondly a ten year study was done on discoid lupus at the Animal Medical Center in New York and they concluded it was not hereditary. However I do not entirely agree with that. I believe the disease is not hereditary but I think it might be possible that the weak immune system might be inherited as I knew four dogs out of one stud dog and different bitches who all had it- well let me say one dog was absolutely so diagnosed and the other three had the symptoms so perhaps they did not have it but good chance that they did. I was friends with the people who had the dog who was absolutely diagnosed and they were told to put Vitamin E oil on her nose and keep her out of the sun as much as possible and if and when the Vitamin E stopped working she would be put on prednisone. That dog lived to a ripe old age of 13 years. I do not understand why a Vet would not put an old dog on pred. The dosage is low and jeez! the dog is old isn't it better for him to live out his remaining years on a little pred than have him suffer and die sooner than he needs to. Less chance that pred is going to hurt him in those few remaining years than the lupus. On top of that the pred would have also made any of his aching joints feel better also. His late years would have been great for him.

Thank you Judy and everyone who has commented. As it's going now the three females in the litter have all been diagnosed and tested confirmed. It's good to know that it can be controlled. I'm hoping the outcomes are favourable.