Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Checking in with Potomac Goers - Any doggie health issues?

Been home for 6 days now and no one has any issues - I assume we're over any incubation period for gastrointestinal problems, but still waiting another week for the KC all-clear.

How are everyone's dogs doing?

On another note - I think this was the first Potomac I ever went to with NO MUD! Amazing!!!

Re: Checking in with Potomac Goers - Any doggie health issues?

All clear in Michigan.

Almost hate to say it...we are happy and well so far!!! I think the lack of rain and mud made for healthier show grounds.

All ok here in Ohio!

All ok in Wisconsin. Was wondering the same thing - keeping some of my dogs isolated until I know there is no KC. Would have thought that it would have shown up by now if it was going to!

Too funny I was going to post the same thing but thought it might be a bit premature. I am relieved to hear that so far so good. I did not hear or see any coughing or sick dogs this year so maybe with the good weather it helped keep things healthier. All clear here too.

It's because there was no mud. When it rains and the ground gets wet, the bacteria in the soil multiply, our dogs ingest it, and they get a bacterial overgrowth in the gut. Usually coccidia or something like it. Also happens in the spring with the melt, when a dog/puppy goes to a new home and it rains for the first time, or whenever you travel and there is wet ground. A nursing bitch will bring it in on her body and give it to the pups. Usually it causes crazy diarrhea but no loss of appetite. I treat with Tylan until symptoms stop - 12-24 hours. If it goes on longer than that with treatment it's something else and you need to go to the vet. I keep feeding them their regular food as long as they have a good appetite. No need for bananas or pumpkin or any other change of food. I tell my pet people if their dog gets diarrhea with no loss in appetite to ask for Albon at the vet no matter what the fecal says. Once a dog has one strain of bacteria it becomes immune, but other dogs can get it. Unfortunately there are so many strains no dog is immune to all of them, so I carry Tylan everywhere.

I saw a dog in the ring with liquid diarrhea on Friday. I don't think we are all out of the woods yet.

All clear here to THANKFULLY!!! So glad to hear all is good so far. I isolated mine for a few days too just to make sure of no KC.

All good here in Quebec Canada! I think most of the tummy upsets were "nerves" I also think the "wind" blew away all the germs LOL

Still haven't had any problems with the dogs that went to Potomac :}

Calgary, Alberta is clear - no worries!

All is clear here! Big relief considering we were parked close by a van full of coughing dogs.