Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
4.5 year old lab losing hair on snout

Hi; One of my dog owners emailed me this morning to ask if I knew why his dog is losing hair on the top of her muzzle, around her nose. She is already on a grain free food ( their preference). They had her in for an examination and the Vet did a skin scraping, no parasites were found. The owner didn't say anything about the dog rubbing her nose on or against anything. I did ask that question in my reply back to them. Any insight would be appreciated.

Re: 4.5 year old lab losing hair on snout

Are they using a plastic food bowl?

My old lab had a shiny snout from years of playing with tennis balls. She would chase them, chew them and dribble them around like a pro player. They also did a number on her canines. I tried very hard to wean her off them and use rubber balls instead, but she wouldn't play with them {sigh}.

This was the first sign of a "thyroid" problem for my girl.

I'd love to hear if you find out a diagnosis, as I have had dogs get this only this time of year, it goes away ( hair grows back ), and reoccurs next spring...not always the same dog, or even same breed! I've had two vets examine them to no avail., next stop is dermatologist, but cannot afford that presently.