Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Tapeworms

It has been many years but I saw a tapeworm today. Not a pretty sight. What is the best medicine for tapes? Still Droncit? Can I get it at the store or do I have to see a vet. I really don't think I need a diagnosis.

Re: Tapeworms

One of my dogs had it recently and just called the vet and they gave us Droncit. Took care of it.

Good luck.

My yard is overrun with wascally wabbits, and unfortunately the dogs love the scat. I never find fleas on them, which I am told transmit the problem. I have treated with Droncit. I also add, and my dogs are all adults, 1-Tbsp 100% Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth once per day in their food. So far that keeps the nasties at bay. I tried reducing to 1-Tsp every other day, even 1-Tbsp everyother day, and the segments returned.

So disgusting. Make sure you vacuum every day when you see the dead segments. The segments have eggs that could get into your carpet. Good luck! Summertime is coming, so I hope my daily Tbsp dose of the DE continues to keep them away. I will also use a flea preventative, just to have double coverage.

The wabbits are not intimidated by my dogs, unfortunately. I have tried the predator urine around perimeters, that only works for one week and is very $$$, plus the yard stinks.

One of my girls had a baby rabbit in her mouth, we told her to drop it, and she swallowed it whole. That was quite the experience to witness, and wait until it came out her other end.

One of mine had tapes, yet they definitely didn't have fleas. I too suspected they picked them up from eating wabbit poop, but was assured by vets and others that the only way to get tapes is to ingest a flea! It always seemed weird to me!

Perhaps the rabbit that your lab ate had fleas and - voila! One of mine ate a bunny once - yum. (Different dog, different occasion). No ill effects, no tapes and a free, nutritious, meal :-).

Must be a big year for those also. First time in years. Is there anything else to use ? Do you treat all the dogs or wait to see if they get tapeworms too. Droncit was costly the last time I try to treat several. And don't you have to repeat ?

what a coincidence. This dog swallowed a partial rabbit body not long ago. Thank you for the info.

I was told the same thing, but no fleas were ever found ON the dogs. If one has tapes, they all do - ugh. If they eat the scat, the eggs could be in the scat.

We are just overrun with Bugs' babies, it is disgusting, no matter how cute they are. I'm told they run in cycles...so I can't wait until the cycle ends, or more foxes return to the 'hood. The coyotes eat the small dogs and cats and leave the bunnies alone for the most part.

I even dusted the DE on the dogs to see if fleas fell off - nothing.

Good luck to all this summer with keeping the wabbits and tapeworms in check. I feed the DE all year long, once a day.

Only one dose of Droncit was given, and including a bitch that was just bred. I was given another med the first time, cannot remember the name of it. That dosage was once, wait two weeks and give the second dose.

My dogs have never had them and I've never seen them. I viewed images and yuk! I did find this link that might be helpful for pup buyers for the future. I like to inform buyers of anything basically possible. I email links and print out pages like this one I just found, just in case.

http://www.tapeworms-in-dogs.com

Treatment: Droncit, Cestex, Drontal Plus, Telmintic, and Vercom Paste are highly effective against all the common dog tapeworms. Use them under veterinary guidance

No need to worm dogs that haven't passed any tapes. Can't pass it from dog to dog, so only treat dogs with segments in stool.

Eating rabbits is how my guys get tapes. I have never used more than one dose of droncit to resolve the problem.

mwk

I had a couple dogs get tapes from rabbits (also no fleas here!) a few years ago. One dose of Drontal plus from the vet was $35! When the 2nd dog came up w/ them, I ordered D-worm (w/ praziquantel) thru Omaha or Revival and got several doses for $35. Of course once I had it, I never needed any more! Anyhow, it looks like D-worm isn't available anymore thru them but I found this link on Foster & Smith: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3307+14028+21488&pcatid=21488

You may also want to try Petsmart/Petco or feed stores.

Mary Jane Droncit is still the best medicine for tapeworms but it is now generic, just look for praziquantel, it is available at most any on line pet supply. I know Revival has it. It calls for two doses but I never found more than one required.

Thank you everyone. I gave the D-Worm Combo last night. It was at my local Pet Supplies store. I may do my other dogs just to be safe.
Lots of good advice from here. Thank you!