Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Blood in urine from using Rimadyl?

I was just wondering if anybody could help me with some info about Rimadyl. My 11 year old Lab suffers from spinal disc degeneration and I gave him some Rimadyl for severe back pain. He couldn't get to his feet for the pain. I would normally take him to the vet but I had some tablets on hand and it was after hours and no vet available so I decided to give him the Rimadyl as he was in a lot of pain. He now has blood in his urine. I have googled the side effects of Rimadyl and some people do say that blood in the urine can occur. I have discontinued the Rimadyl and my boy seems happy and well. He is not urinating more than usual and he doesn't seem to be in discomfort when he urinates. I hope I haven't caused irreperable damage by giving him the Rimadyl for a few days? Will take him to the vets today for a check up.

Re: Blood in urine from using Rimadyl?

It could be a side effect, or something else. He may have a bladder, or prostate infection. My old guy had bladder cancer and it presented with blood in the urine, but a few weeks before that was evident he was having trouble voiding his bowels. Ultrasound revealed the problem after treating him for a couple of months with antibiotics, etc. and even neutering. When in doubt do an ultrasound.

He doesn't have any symptoms of a bladder infection or prostate problem. Urination and defecation patterns are both normal. He is eating and drinking normally. He is happy and playful as usual. I have given him some cranberry tablets for his bladder just in case and will take him to the vet as soon as they open.

PLEASE CALL PFIZER! They want to know these things and will help you! They keep records of adverse reactions and report to FDA.

800-366-5288

For more information including on Rimadyl and other products, including adverse reactions and submitting a reaction online:

https://animalhealth.pfizer.com/sites/pahweb/US/EN/contact/product_information/Pages/VMIPS.aspx

Only open Mon - Fri, but they are EXCELLENT at helping out.

Sue Puff

I may be wrong, but....

Rimadyl has been known/reported to cause problems in Labs and Collies (maybe other breeds as well) almost since the day it came onto the market. If it were a human drug it might well have been pulled off the market years ago.

Sue Puff is right - but I would get him off the Rimadyl if it were my dog, and until you can get him to a vet check the color of the whites of his eyes. You shouldn't be seeing yellow.

Just my thoughts....

The more common side effects of Rimadyl are G.I. upset (vomiting and diarrhea) and bleeding, like any NSAID, or liver problems.
You did not mention if the dose of Rimadyl was correct for the size of the dog. Any dose above what is recommended has the potential cause more GI upset and liver problems.
I have not heard about Rimadyl causing blood in the urine, but Pfizer would have that information.
And maybe the blood in the urine was part of the painful episode your dog had. If he did not see a vet, we are guessing that it was his spine, but could it be something going on abdominally, i.e., kidney or bladder pain?
Rimadyl is a good anti-inflammatory, so if he had pain anywhere in his body, it would ease that pain.
Being on a correct dose of Rimadyl for just a few days should not cause permanent damage.
I would definitely follow up with a vet visit. Your vet should be able to determine the source of the pain. If the spine is painful, the vet may want to try another NSAID (after a "washout period" off the Rimadyl).
If the spine is completely non-painful and there is blood in the urine (may not be visible to the eye but is detected microscopically) then your vet would recommend further workup on his urinary tract.