Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Goodbye Fronline, caution imposters

Vets are no longer carrying Frontline or Plus. It's been substituted with a better product called Certifect. It's more expensive but supposedly kills ticks in 1/4 of the time Frontline did.

There are some counterfeit Frontline products being sold so be careful.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2011/08/12/1006303/-EPA-Counterfeit-Pesticide-Products-for-Dogs-and-Cats-

Re: Goodbye Fronline, caution imposters

There have been knock offs of Frontline on the black market for years, but the fact is that the Frontline patent ran out last year. Is it any surprise that Merial is coming out w/ a "new and improved" product now? I started buying the generic Frontline (Fiproguard) last May at a decent price... $16-17 for 3 doses. It worked well for me last year here in the NW. Have a new order on the way and hope it hurries as I found my first tick of the season today!

A quick google shows that Certifect is fipronyl + amitraz. I'm not excited to add any new chemicals to the mix here just yet personally, but for those w/ resistant ones in the NE, I'll be interested to hear how this product works.

windycanyon
I started buying the generic Frontline (Fiproguard) last May at a decent price... $16-17 for 3 doses. It worked well for me last year here in the NW. Have a new order on the way and hope it hurries as I found my first tick of the season today!

A quick google shows that Certifect is fipronyl + amitraz. I'm not excited to add any new chemicals to the mix here just yet personally, but for those w/ resistant ones in the NE, I'll be interested to hear how this product works.

Hurrah for you in being a discriminating buyer! Amitraz is good, and is what the Preventic collar contains, but we who have labs who swim, or other dogs who might ingest the collars, cannot/should not use them. Too bad they have used this chemical in the new Frontline

Frontline (the plain version, not the plus) works, and the active ingredient is Fipronyl.

Isn't it better to use the least amount of chemicals to do the job?

Frontline and Frontline Plus are no longer working down here where the flea battle is year round. Applications are only lasting 2-3 weeks at the most.
I have to granulate the yard and use Adams Spray as a back up.

I hate all these chemicals, but a flea infestation is a nightmare. Anyone else south of the line have a good system working?

Been using K9 Advantix here and thus far no issues.

can not use Advantix with cats around....deadly to cats.