Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Washing machines and dryers??

Need a new washer and dryer; would love input on what you have if you're having good luck with it! TIA:)

Re: Washing machines and dryers??

Yes - please give reviews here - I have "heard" that some of the front loaders do not clean thoroughly - is this true? I want to be eco friendly etc - but need the machine to do its job!

I HATED my front load Whirlpool Duet washer.
It ate socks and similar items, it was difficult to take the front off the machine to unclog it and retrieve your items. You actually had to unscrew and remove the lower front panel of the machine. Also, it always smelled bad even when the front gasket was cleaned regularly. All the shirt sleeves and pant legs came out twisted and knotted together. I'm glad it finally died.

I just LOVE my Maytag Bravos Top Load washer!!!
We've had it 9 months now. No problems. We've even washed large HORSE blankets in it. it is a high efficiency machine so it conserves water and electric.
Do read the instructions on HOW TO LOAD IT PROPERLY. If you don't do it right, the clothes will get very wrinkled.

Laura, will you share which Maytag Bravo you have? There are several - so glad to hear you like yours, and am probably going to order, but have seen a few bad reviews - Thanks so much!

I bought the Maytag Bravos MVWB450WQ Bravos® Top Load Washer with PowerWash™ Cycle from Lowes.

If you look above and do a SEARCH, you will see we had a big discussion about this topic back in 2011.

Thank you - I had seen that; couldn't afford it then so glad to hear you are happy with yours and am anxious to get one now.... appreciate your feedback!

Been thinking of swapping out and buying a new machine. I would go with the TOP LOAD MAYTAG BRAVOS for sure.

I am looking for a commercial. We wash 5+ loads a week.

Laura are you able to add more water to it to really soak items?
We have a front load GE their top of the line and I've only had this one a little over a year and just had to pay to have the front gasket replaced when it tore on a load of towels. This was the replacement washer for the other GE frontload we had that died after the first year and then again on the second.

I had a G.E., can't remember model. There is a class action against G.E. The sensor malfunctions and the water doesn't shut off. I went out for awhile came home to a flooded house.
Got a Whirlpool top load, Cabria. Worst washer on the planet. Eco friendly, conserves water and in doing so doesn't get clothes clean. There have been times when I washed clothes three times to get them clean. I'm such a idiot for not doing my research.

We just purchased a front load Samsung. We have 4 dogs and 7 children - so tons of laundry. So far I like it much better than my former Whirlpool Duet. It has an easy access lint trap in the front. We found with our Duet that we had to take the whole thing apart twice a year to get to the lint trapto empty it and the new model is even worse!

The Samsung cleans very very well, very happy with it.

We have and LG pair . Front loading. It has a great sanitary cycle that we also used here for adult stuff and we do at least 2 loads a day, sometimes 3. The only problem I have (after 4 or 5 years) is that the dryer uses alot of power. We are careful to use timed settings, not the sensor one.

We use a front loader and a washing line. Has anyone ever heard of such a thing??? It's part of my culture to dry things on a line - makes things smell fresh and SAVES ENERGY.

The front loader uses a lot less water and soap too than top loaders. I'm not thrilled with it because it beeps and then makes me wait while it "levels" everything - why???? It will not be fooled by dialing "off" and infuriates me every time with a locked door until IT says I can open it. I'm sure that others would also be annoyed that you cannot get much stuff into it. I crammed a rather large dog bed into it the other day and had a heck of a time getting it out.

Washing machines and dryers??

I have also an LG pair that is just almost 2 years old - I love them. I have 4 dogs and when mom was alive we had lots of laundry as she was bed bound. Love the sanitary cycle for bedding and towels. Works nicely, no smell, clean the door and inside when used and leave door open for about 30 minutes when i'm done washing before closing up. Also use the clorox cleaner (there's a specific type for front loaders to clean) I need a bigger washer tho

I love hanging my laundry on my clothesline! I come from a long line of clothesline users.

Beth Volle
I love hanging my laundry on my clothesline! I come from a long line of clothesline users.

Hooray for you! Good to know that there are other line users out there :-).

Reeesearch
Been thinking of swapping out and buying a new machine. I would go with the TOP LOAD MAYTAG BRAVOS for sure.

I am looking for a commercial. We wash 5+ loads a week.

Just can't help comment, I'm jealous! Only 5+ loads a week. I do 5+ loads daily! We had to go front load because less water for our septic, so we chose Samsung as in my post above.

funny this toppic came up about now. My husband has been complaining about his work tees smeling " Doggy ". I've been using Tide with the enzymes that are suppose to cut through the bacteria but clothes still come out smelling dirty. I use clothes softner as well...still stinky clothes. We bought an expensive Meil ( spelling ?? ) a few yrs back which I regret. It gets clogged up all the time so we have to pry the little door open and drain out all the water in a bucket. I never have found anything in the drain so why its so sensitive I don't know.
What I found out about front loader machines is you HAVE to buy those Tide front load cleaning packages and use them every week for best results. I cleaned my husbands new batch of work tee shirts yesterday, after using Tide cleaner and low and behold, I got rave reviews this morning !!!! My husband was about to buy me a new washing machine just to wash my doggy blankets in..hahaha.
Unless they come up with a better front loader in the future, I won't buy another one.

I got an LG wave series last summer from home depot, and i luv it. It does not have a belt like most traditional washers, and no agitator in the middle. The washer has lots of settings, and is very quit

After I wash dog laundry, I run a cycle of bleach water through my washing machine before I do regular laundry. This helps to keep the washer clean and fresh, and flushes out the water discharge line.

Also, I have switched back to using a powder laundry soap (I like SURF or Cheer). I see a HUGE difference in the clothing cleanliness. They also smell far more fresh like I'd expect after being laundered. Colors are brighter too.

I have a 5yr old Kenmore top loading machine. Had the same type of machine for 16yrs prior to this one. I got my money worth out of both thus far. Standard knob dials with a few different cycles/temps/water levels. Paid about $600 at the most for this newer machine. Never have had a service call on either machine.

Beth I'm with you on this one - I too dry my clothes on a clothes line and love it! when my kids were in diapers - yup - I washed them and dried them on the line!

I hate clothes and towels that are dried on a clothesline. They are stiff, and occasionally have insects on them. Yuck. Only a good ole drier for me and my clothes.

We use a top load for the dogs. Find it more practical since you can soak in generous amounts of water. We have a set up where we have 2 washers; one for the dogs and another for us sitting side by side. This works great! Both are Whirpool machines and are great!

Love my frontloader and dryer by Whirlpool. Have never once had a problem with either and have had mine for about 3 years. I do make sure and wipe out the dog hair from the washer after each wash. It's very easy to do and I do not miss having an agitator that might break when washing larger items such as duvet covers, blankets and washable dog bed. Not to mention being more environmentally friendly both in the small amount of HE soap and water being used.

I have a Bosch Nexxt Front Load washer. It replaced a Kenmore top loader that died after about 4 years. I love my Bosch! It's about 6+ years old and was really put to the test with my last litter and doing 3+ loads a day for a while. Only complaint is the dog hair collects in the bottom of the rubber gasket around the door, but it scoops out easy enough. I also find if I leave the door open after running a load it helps to air it out so it doesn't get musty smelling in there.

I use Ecos laundry soap that I buy at Costco and everything seems to come out clean and fresh smelling. It all works well for me. :)

I have 2 sets of washers... one for the human cloths and one for doggy stuff. The one I have for us is Elextrolux Inspire which I like very much and the one I have for doggy stuff is Candy Eclypsa which we bought used but is good enough for the dog stuff.
Here's our home washer: http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_vpG-VugUzaA/SsTwZh2LuhI/AAAAAAAAAO0/tksRQhY0e_A/s320/electrolux-inspire-ewf16580w.847089
And my dog washer: http://www.podarimo.si/slike/slika11247917284.jpg

I guess my washers are a bit difference that what you guy's have! LOL

It ws good to read all the comments on washers as I am just doing research for a new machine.
I line dry also, always have.
Here is a thought for other dog lovers who have a septic system. After I had to put in a new leach field several years ago I found that the reason it gave up was all the lint and dog hair that goes out in the waste water. I bought an inline lint trap which installed on the exit water line. I get pounds and pounds of lint and dog hair in the trap all the time, and leach field is working just fine. It is amazing how much "stuff" exits the washing machine. I will look up the brand and where I got it and will post later

please share the information about your inline lint trap! Sound like a neat and worthwhile thing to have!