Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
bowel issues with Labs.

OK I am hoping someone has an idea what is going on here. Before Potomac several of my guys had issues with their stools.. off and on for about 2 weeks. They are all housed together in the home with us humans... A couple are poop eaters and some of the others love to eat the dirt and grass in the spring.
I attributed the stool issue to bacteria in the soil and gave flagyl... After 1-2 doses of the flagyl they are fine. The younger ones actually get constipated after 1 dose of the flagyl...
Shortly after coming off the flagyl issues begin again.. They are on several different foods,,, all top end,, Cal Natural, Nature's Variety and Solid Gold. We went to Potomac and brought Poland Springs bottled water. They continued to eat some grass and soil, UGH, but stool was perfect the entire week. After being home a few days the issues started again and the pattern is the same. The older dogs have a mucous lining to the stool so I know their colon is being irritated. The younger ones have firm stool followed by watery stool...
I do have one boy who has not seemed to be affected by whatever is going on with the others... Thank GOD, and I pray it stays that way. But he doesn't eat stool or soil... I was going to try to lime the yard but he has IBD and I don't want him ingesting anything if he licks the ground when the girls are in season... Which BTW 3 are as I type, Ugh..
Any thoughts or suggestions? I am so freaking tired of cleaning crates and scrubbing Labradors.

Re: bowel issues with Labs.

I would say a checkup with a vet is in order. There are so many reasons why dogs have diarrhea. Their stools need to be checked by a vet for parasites or bacteria. JMO

Have you tested for giardia or coccidia ?

Thanks for the reply.. Bacteria I think would be more likely , but I don't think symptoms would disappear for a whole week with parasites... Problem is where are they getting the bacteria from and how do I control it? It doesn't help to medicate if I can't control the source and re-infection....

I think that is probably the next step. I am just concerned where they are getting it adn how to get rid of it.

Also they have none of the other symptoms of giardia or coccidia... It's really strange..

Bird droppings are a heavy dose of coccidia. Rabbit and deer scat have it also. Coccidia doesn't always even show on stool samples and I have had it come and go just as you are describing. Get stool sample checked at vet, ask for Ponazuril.

If you don't want to do that yet. Give probiotics, Pepto and pumpkin for a few days and see if that takes care of it. With coccidia the older dogs do build resistance and sometimes it takes care of itself.

Coccidia
Bird droppings are a heavy dose of coccidia. Rabbit and deer scat have it also. Coccidia doesn't always even show on stool samples and I have had it come and go just as you are describing. Get stool sample checked at vet, ask for Ponazuril.

You know we do have alot of bird droppings in the yard this year... Deer can't get in as it is a cyclone fence, and we have rarely seen rabbits, but yes bird poop... I have a call into my vet, I will ask her about that and the Ponazuril.. I have never heard of it.. Does it work better than Flagyl for Coccidia? I wonder why just the one dog isn't affected? Grr maybe that's where his IBD came from and he is immune... !

Maybe it's your water? Our city water is alot of chlorine in it to kill the bacteria in the older pipes. My dogs get the runs whenever they drink it. We are ALL on bottled water!

I would suspect your water or water that they are getting into.

green
I would suspect your water or water that they are getting into.

I am beginning to wonder about the water as well since they were fine on the Poland Springs.. We have well water and 2 filters... They get water from a reverse osmosis filter... Maybe it is not funcitoning properly?
No standing water in the yard at all except after a rain.

Does anyone know if you can test a soil sample for things that could make a dog sick? Where would you send it? I keep thinking with the warm winter, no snow, maybe there's some funky bacteria in the soil...

We have a place where we can send our water out for testing. We too are rural and on a well. However, I would have thought your RO system would take care of bacteria.

Lab Breeder
Have you tested for giardia or coccidia ?

My first guess would be giardia. I never like flagyl. I would test for giardia and get some panacur.

My guys are eating God knows what, and loving it. It just seems to be certain times of the year. Whatever animal goes through the yard and maybe leaves something behind makes the dogs eat it. They get the nastiest diarrhea and sometimes vomiting. I put them on metronidazole, 250 mg 2 times a day for two days. It cleans out the bacteria from the gut. I don't let them eat or drink for 24 hours. Then I give them chicken and white rice. If their stomachs have settled I continue their regular food.

I thought metronidazole was to be given with food?

I would do some stool testing before I tested all the things around them. I think Panacur for 3 days is recommended for parasites.

You might want to try Tylan. Tylan does not kill the coccidia/bacteria, it just interferes with the life cycle. The dog can then develop immunity to the organism. Don't try to eliminate the organism from the environment - it's impossible.

Another thought - I had one girl that was having periodic episodes like that. Never tested her, but after trying Tylan a couple of times I put her on Flagyl for 2 weeks and she was cured. Fecal tests often have false negatives for things like coccidia and giardia.

I would think it has to be your water or the soil they are eating at home. If everyone was fine when you were away drinking bottled water then....

Parasites wouldn't come and go. And have you or any of your neighbors been putting something on lawns or gardens that could be messing with bellies?

Check with your local colleges who may have ag departments. They will be happy to test soil and water.

Good luck, don't envy you having to do all that cleaning up!!!! Ugh....

Thank you everyone for your replies... I spoke with my vet and we are going to do the metronidazole for 5 days and then every other day for a bit.. They respond after 1 dose so we know it is helping with whatever is causing the problem... I am thinking I didn't give it long enough.. My young ones get really firm stool on it so I didn't want to give it that long .We decided to try 1/4 the dose per day with them and so far so good. The adults are getting their regular dose. Pray this takes care of it... I am very tired of cleaning.... Thanks again.

Just got another bout of diarrhea. Gave the Met. goodbye bad poopies. It is definitely something, (animal going through our yard). We were fine all winter. Unless this bacteria hybernates? Glad it's working out for you.

MORE than frustrated
Thank you everyone for your replies... I spoke with my vet and we are going to do the metronidazole for 5 days and then every other day for a bit.. They respond after 1 dose so we know it is helping with whatever is causing the problem... I am thinking I didn't give it long enough.. My young ones get really firm stool on it so I didn't want to give it that long .We decided to try 1/4 the dose per day with them and so far so good. The adults are getting their regular dose. Pray this takes care of it... I am very tired of cleaning.... Thanks again.

Good for you!

I was prescribed Metronidazole many times by different vets - always the same strength and for the same length of time (5 days, I think). Then I talked to a vet friend who told me that half the dose would be appropriate for my elderly lab. That's what we gave her and it did the trick.

Good luck!

MORE than frustrated

If you are treating for giardia, you need to give flagyl for 10 days. If you have only been dosing for a day or two (when you see visible results) you are probably not eliminating the parasite and only making them resistant to the drug. I would also add a probiotic, pancreatin enzymes and see if you can beat the dogs to the poop before they get it.

Went through this a few months ago and after all the tests done on dog and house, we found nothing. I followed the treatment above and also substituted Science Diet I/D for kibble for a few days. After four days, my Lab was back to his regular diet and stools were normal.

-
If you are treating for giardia, you need to give flagyl for 10 days.

I agree - I go two weeks. Also, in case anyone is confused, metronidazole is the generic for Flagyl.

Thank you Nancy, for that information.