Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Palpation at day 32

Someone advised me not to let a Vet palpatate to confirm pregnancy, but after 2 misses I'm not sure I want the expense of a Sono. They said there are links to palpation & reabsorbing puppies. This would be her first litter and I'm not seeing much of a change in her except sleeping a bit more then usual . Has anyone had a bad experience with this?

Re: Palpation at day 32

Try a relaxin test. It's about half the cost of an ultrasound (at my vets anyway!).

Interesting thought regarding the palpation. I think 28 days is a better time rather than 32.

But if your vet is used to doing it, should not be a problem

I have done palpation on my bitches and friend's bitches for over 20 years. Having litters of 8-10 puppies is the norm here. I don't think I'm doing any damage. I would never waste my money on a sonogram or Relaxin test.
I don't see why not let your vet do the palpation if he knows what he is doing.

me too! I have palpated all of my bitches for 12 years and have had litters of 13 born. If you wait until between 4 - 5 1/2 weeks they are EASY to feel and it really doesn't take much poking and prodding to feel them,especially big litters! I have found singletons and yep, just 1 puppy born!

JJ
me too! I have palpated all of my bitches for 12 years and have had litters of 13 born. If you wait until between 4 - 5 1/2 weeks they are EASY to feel and it really doesn't take much poking and prodding to feel them,especially big litters! I have found singletons and yep, just 1 puppy born!

I was told not to let my vet palpate for the same reasons and did have a bitch resorp after my older vet counted 8 what he called ping pong balls ( think he poked and prodded a little too much. I never asked him to count, he always recommended coming in at day 32. It was the only time that after palpation I went back for a pre-whelp radiograph to both uterine horns being empty. He said he might have felt stool at day 32 but he seemed quite sure those 8 ping pong balls were progressing, implanted embryos becoming fetus'. Today I avoid palpation ever since then and watch for symptoms like a discharge and belly. Gestation is so short, no reason to poke and prod halfway thru. I wait for 4 days before the due date and have a pre-whelp xray done.