Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
lyme vaccine

If im correct the lyme vaccine does not prevent your dog from getting lyme?! The vaccine it suppose to prevent the tick from spreading it again or kill the tick all together...correct?!

Re: lyme vaccine

Lyme vaccine does not prevent your dog from actually getting lymes. It should however, make the symptoms of lyme less severe. It does nothing to the actual tick. Deer ticks - very small and black - carry the lyme disease.

I do not believe that is correct. Here is the manufacturers information on LymeVax: https://animalhealth.pfizer.com/sites/pahweb/US/EN/Products/Pages/LymeVax.aspx

It is not 100% effective which might be where the confusion is. It is better than no protection. The other part of preventing Lyme is tick control. That is done with flea and tick products like Advantix and Frontline Plus that kill the ticks.

I can't seem to find anyone who is carrying Lyme vaccine right now.

Once you introduce the Lyme vaccine and the body produces antibodies - then you can not rely on the snap test to see if your dog actually has had Lyme or just had the vaccine for Lyme. I would rather not use the vaccine and just be aware of the symptoms .

Check with your vet and the manufacturer of the vaccine, that is what I always thought until I talked with a vet who helped develop the vaccine.

Even the vets have conflicting stories! I've know to many dogs who have had the vaccine & still come down with lyme!

Lab Breeder
Once you introduce the Lyme vaccine and the body produces antibodies - then you can not rely on the snap test to see if your dog actually has had Lyme or just had the vaccine for Lyme. I would rather not use the vaccine and just be aware of the symptoms .

That's a myth. I had several dogs vaccinated with Lymevax who all came up negative on the snap test.