Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Laryngeal paralysis treatment?

I recently had my old boy, 11, diagnosed with LP. My Cody's LP manifests itself when he gets excited, happy, or worked up in any other manner.

As a nurse, I wonder if treatment with a med like Ativan could help him stay more relaxed, and decrease the intensity of his anxiety? My vet hadn't heard of Ativan, so I explained to her that it is a benzodiazepine. She is going to explore this option. What do any of you think? Is there anyone out there who has success treating LP outside of surgery?

TIA

Re: Laryngeal paralysis treatment?

We have an almost 13 year old we took in last year who is showing signs of LP as well, although we haven't had her scoped yet for a definitive diagnosis. She isn't (in our opinion) bad enough off yet to consider surgery, but we are keeping a close eye on her.

There is a very knowledgeable yahoo group for LP, many of whose dogs have had the surgery, but they do also discuss alternative treatments. I can't say as I've heard of anyone using Ativan, but I'd bet if you ask there you might get some answers.

As for our girl, so far our main focus is keeping her cool as heat is very dangerous to LP dogs. On the few unseasonably hot days we've had so far this spring, we've found a cooling blanket to be very helpful to her on walks. I'm also considering looking into acupuncture as according to the yahoo group it can be very helpful in controlling the symptoms of LP, and certainly wouldn't hurt.

Good luck!

We have had some luck with CoEnzyme Q10 and following an alternative vet's recommendation to give "cooling" foods, such as melons and mint. I put mint tea in her food, and I also gave her some sweetened, cool mint tea on bad days. I forget now what meats are cooling and which are heating. I think chicken was better than lamb and beef, but I am not sure. Definitely try CoQ10 on any old dog. It even helps the last weeks in some cancer cases. Just start off with small dose, and build up gradually, or the stools loosen up in some dogs. It is also good for heart problems in old Cavaliers--and people--according to my experience.

I had a boy who developed it at age 11. Chiro and acupuncture worked for about a year and a half. Then he had the surgery, which wasn't perfect because he required special feeding. Plus drinking was tough and he coughed a lot to clear his throat. But he went on for another year and died of something else. And his quality of life was good throughout.

I have a 14 year old that is taking Doxepin HCI 50 mg twice a day for her LP. It really seems to be helping her. She started out at 75 mg, but seems better on a lesser dose.