Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Post-Whelp Bitch is "Off"

My girl whelped a litter back in January, pups are gone minus the one I kept. Prior to the litter, I had 3 adult dogs, Mama being the youngest. I placed the "middle" dog with a family member in March prior to most of the pups leaving. Visitation with the other dog isn’t possible.

For the last several weeks, Mama seems depressed. She is very clingy to me; want to be right next to me, on me, etc. She will play with her pup and the older dog. Sometimes when I am not around, my husband says she "lurks", meaning she hangs back on the periphery of the room with a wide eye expression, which isn't normal for her. Or she will go sit in the bathroom or crate by herself.

Can dogs get post-partum depression? I imagine her hormones are out of whack and she has had a lot of changes in her "pack". I feel horrible for her, but I feel kind of powerless as to how to help her. We are taking a dog training class just her and I and I try to give her more attention than the puppy to reassure her of her place, but at the same time, I don't want to cater to her and let her think this behavior is okay.

Anyone have any tips/tricks/supplements to help her out?

Re: Post-Whelp Bitch is "Off"

I'd get a blood draw right away. Do you think she needs some calcium ? That would be my first thought, and an easy fix.

Breeder
I'd get a blood draw right away. Do you think she needs some calcium ? That would be my first thought, and an easy fix.

She whelped in January. Calcium problem not likely. More likely illness. Blood work, Lyme etc tests, maybe a urinalysis are in order.

I'd have vet examine of course. Is she getting enough sunlight or florescent light? I had one who chewed her paws from nerves late winter which we found was due to lack of sunlight.

If that doesn't work, give her more time with puppy. I've even crated a puppy and mom together just for the nights when mom seemed down. It did not hurt puppy's training or mom. Mom eventually got sick of pup and did well without her.