Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
How much do you spend per year on showing?

My husband has encouraged me to do a dog budget. I've shown obedience for years but now am getting into conformation. Curious how much others spend on showing when they show themselves (not including handler fees). I know it will vary a lot but still wondering.

Re: How much do you spend per year on showing?

$480 for 16 shows @ $30 an entry, per dog. That is not including transportation, lodging, or other expenses. That is just Conformation and if I show locally. With travel/lodging expenses, throw another $700 approx. at it. Luckily, most of my shows are close to home and only have to travel out of town for a few.

Just Me...
$480 for 16 shows @ $30 an entry, per dog. That is not including transportation, lodging, or other expenses. That is just Conformation and if I show locally. With travel/lodging expenses, throw another $700 approx. at it. Luckily, most of my shows are close to home and only have to travel out of town for a few.

I am too scared to even add it up, and we don't have handlers over here so we don't have that cost.

Seat of the pants average estimate

Each show weekend - showing 3 dogs
Entries 30 per dog = 90 per day ...2 days of shows = 180
Meals - 75 per day = 150
Gas - 150 each way = 300 (Big Van mileage)
Hotel - 150 per night = 300
Total = $930 IF I don't share a room or gas mileage

For Potomac I budget $2,000-$3,000

Someone who is showing consistently spends $20-$30K

This is why I work to support my dog habit!

I spent 10k last year. That is 1-2 class dogs with a handler most weekends and other 2 with me about once a month.

One dog, rarely use a handler, share rooms and transportation, try to save on meals. I have never tried to estimate total $$$ spent for fear of having a heart attack!

I wonder if folks who participate in other hobbies (golf, boating, racing cars, tennis,travel, gambling etc) ever discuss their budgets?

It seems like dog breeders or exhibitors tend to draw much attention. I know when I am with friends the discussions tend to move toards the cost of this hobby.

I never ask what an avid golfer spends. But I know it is quite pricey considering balls and greens fees have risen. Not to mention the cost of club memberships and their transportation or the magazines and gadgets and clubs they purchase.

Lets face it, we all need a hobby. Most good hobbies tend to be expensive. That's what makes them fun.

Don't worry too much about the cost of showing your dogs. You will find other places to spend your money. We don't save it; and even if we did, the government would tax the bejesus out of it when you die.

Hold on to your wallet
Meals - 75 per day = 150

Wow! If you're buying I'm eating where you eat!

I save money on meals by staying at Holiday Inn Express when possible (free breakfast and Holiday Inn points). Most I ever remember spending for a meal is about $60 for all-you-can-eat at Mays Seafood in Frederick. Most times I'd be paying maybe $20-30 for dinner, less for lunch. I'd pack my own but it's so much fun to go out with Labbie people. They know how to party!

How much do you spend per year on showing?

I spent more on my orchid hobby than I have on the dogs that I currently have and have not shown very much. Getting ready to tho.... I used to have my orchids shipped in from Hawaii as it was less expensive than going to a show and spending $50/plant. All hobbies cost $$... Just depends on what makes you happy

A BUNCH! I show my own dogs. Last year I showed 2 dogs at least 2-3 weekends per month. Thank GOD for my network of friends. I had to stay in motels less than half of those trips. Still, I don't want to even think about adding up the costs....especially since I close my clinic when I'm not there on Saturday. But, afterall, if I have to have an addiction, let it be dogs and not drugs.

Years ago I tried to figure out how much my Hosta/ shade gardens were worth for appraisal of our house and when I looked over some of the receipts I had for some of them it was way more than a weekend of showing. I've spent more on a single plant than I did in entry fees for a back to back specialty. The gardens are worth 3 times what I spent on the plants so lets just say that for sanity reasons I no longer save my receipts and I destroyed the "evidence" of my past indescretions.LOL!!

It's a good thing I love the peace and serenity of looking at all that I've done, and the same goes for the dogs, I know it's alot of $$$ but it makes me happy and I can't take the money with me when I die.

A lot.

All I have