Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Stud Books Closed?

I have been in the breed for 10 or so years and I keep hearing this statement "After the Stud Books Closed", especially in the last week or so.

Can someone please explain this?

Thanks

Re: Stud Books Closed?

Open registration is typically for new breeds. The parents of the dog don't have to be AKC registered. Sometimes any dog is accepted if it looks correct, but more often there are certain conditions. For example, Black and Tan Coonhounds are currently accepted if they are registered with the United Kennel Club and are purple ribbon dogs. Photographs are also required.

Once a sufficient population is registered, the stud books are closed. That means that only dogs with AKC registered parents (or acceptable foreign registries) can be registered.

Sometimes stud books are re-opened for a limited period of time to introduce genetic diversity.

Thanks Nancy. That makes perfect sense.

I thought it was something like that but did not want to assume anything.

I loved the Basenji story. Where they were concerned the gene pool was too small so they sent a team over to Africa. I think there were specific health issues they were concerned with. They found semi-wild dogs there who most closely resembled the AKC standard (not sure if they were feral, free-roaming, had owners) and brought them back to the US and used them for breeding with the AKC purebreds. I am pretty sure it helped tremendously with whatever genetic health issue that had been a problem.

I would love to reminded of the details if anyone knows. I suspect there are other good stories like this too.

I know quarter horses can be bred with thoroughbreds and still be quarter horses if they exhibit the correct breed characteristics. I would love to know those details too.

My friend Damara Bolte recounted her 1988 mission to Africa to search for, and return with valuable Basenji breeding stock. The Basenji breed in the USA was founded upon just 9 individual dogs with the end result being some serious genetic conditions which necessitated adding genetic diversity to the AKC Basenjis in this country.

Damara's quest is a fascinating story.
http://www.basenji.org/african/bolt8809.htm

Yes, the AKC was willing to open the stud book to these African imports if they could pass a stringent series of tests.

In 2008, the AKC again agreed to open their stud book to qualified imports who could pass certain criteria.

The AKC announcment:
Monday, August 18, 2008

AKC announced today that, at the request of the Basenji Club of America (BCOA), it will open the Basenji stud book to dogs from countries with no AKC accepted registry. The BCOA has initiated this program in order to offer an opportunity to import dogs from their native land.

"Due to the changing circumstances in the areas where these dogs thrive, this may be the last opportunity to import the breed from its homeland," said BCOA president Sally Wuornos. "The Basenji stud book has been closed since 1990 when it was briefly opened to imported native stock."

The BCOA has established a ten-step process for dogs who wish to apply, after which, members will vote to ultimately approve the dogs’ entry into the stud book. The stud book will be open from January 1, 2009 through December 31, 2013 for Basenjis who have gone through the ten-step process, been approved by the BCOA Board and membership, and that meet the following requirements:
•Applicant must be at least one year old at time of evaluations
•Applicant must be imported after 1990 directly from Africa or in utero from Africa

Dogs from the following areas are currently under consideration for admission:
•Northern Congo
•Southern Benin
•Southwestern Cameroon
•Central Congo

THANK YOU!

Great story and it helps me get a deeper understanding of stud books.