Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Very sloppy sit a concern?

I know sloppy sits/sitting to the side are not a concern in general, but I've never had a dog that sits like my puppy bitch. The only way I can describe it is that she sits like a human...way back on her butt, with her legs sticking out in front of her. It's kind of hilarious, but I just want to make sure it's not a cause for concern. I thought she'd probably grow out of it, but she's eight months now. Old enough to be sitting more normally? Not sure. Standing naturally she has lovely structure and she moves beautifully as well. It's just the sit. Thoughts? (Old-timers with experience preferred, no uninformed alarmist conjectures please. )

Re: Very sloppy sit a concern?

My Katie does it. She is almost 5 years old.....OFA good. Her brother Leon does it...OFA good. Barklee does it, 2 years old.....OFA good. My guys specialize in sloppy sits (especially the type you describe). No hip problems here.

Over the years, we have had MANY who sit like that. People who have dogs from us call it the "Onarock Sit". LOL None have ever had an issue ...... 3 of my present girls who do it are OFA excellent, one OFA good. It is not a sign of any issue.

Our 7 y/o bitch does it too. OFA good.

I've had a couple as well. Seems to be the "softer" tempered ones that like to do it, and I am thinking I'm at fault for not enforcing as good of a sit w/ them. Some folks will say it's an indication of some rear weakness but I don't believe it either. My sloppiest sitter has one of the nicest sets of hip xrays here. My 16 mo old is being worked on currently for the same issue that I hope won't become habit. She CAN sit pretty for her food dish and when something good is about to happen, so I'm just going to work it from there. No rewards for a sloppy sit, it's as simple as that!

My guy has a sloppy sit. He also tends to frog dog when doing a down while working. He is OFA good.
I don't think anything is wrong - he is just goofy.

I have had some slightly sloppy sitters in the past. Since I do obedience and agility I want to develop a nice tight upright sit.
With young dogs and through the dog's working career I work on teaching a nice tight sit by teaching them to get up and sit on a small box on the floor, just big enough to fit on. I then make sure to feed with the head and spine in and an elongated position They have to tuck those hocks underneath and use lots of abdominal muscles to keep that posture. I think the sloppy sit has more to do with abdominal and core strength than anything else.

I use a box or wood block to sit on. The box can be something just large enough for them to balance on. I cover it with that non-skid matting so they don't slip.