Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Strange symptoms after Surgical Implant?

Has anyone else ever had a bad reaction possibly to anesthetic after a surgical implant? Normally outgoing, playful, independant bitch cowering, skittering when moving on floors, runs wildly from room to room. Would hide out in her crate rather than be with her buddies or us. Temperature is normal, peeing pooping etc, will eat if food brought to her, just strange behavior. Contacted reproductive clinic where surgery was done and own vet, nobody has a direct answer, possibly hormonal? Just wondering if anyone else has seen this type of behavior? TIA

Re: Strange symptoms after Surgical Implant?

How old is she? Is this her first litter? Any signs of extra sensitive hearing? Dizziness or balance issues? Vision changes? Is she worried about slick floors and ok on carpet? I'm thinking of a reaction to the anesthesia that affected her hearing or vision, or a bad experience at the vet like falling on a slick floor.

Here are a few thoughts, none of which may apply.

How old is she? Bred on prelims or adult? Fear periods occur during adolescence.

Can she see? Was she on Baytril, one of the meds that can cause sudden blindness?

She may also need a chiropractic adjustment, as under anesthesia, everything goes limp and can be pushed out of place or alignment, giving her a bad headache.

Another thought: is there a bully bitch who might object to her being pregnant if she is lower ranking?

Thank you! No not her first litter other one 1.5 years ago, side by side AI. She is almost 5;family dog, other dogs her mother and neutered male; she came home this way from the vet's, vision and hearing seem fine,if anything she appears hypersensitive. She has all her OFA clearances. Thank you I suspect the anesthetic as well.

It was my girl's 3rd litter. The first 2 were side-by-side AIs. The surgical was #3 and she was crazy for at least a week. She did get pregnant & had a normal litter. Why this strange behavior? I have no idea.

might just be surgical pain? I had a girl have an ACL repair, and she would hide in her crate, and cower...due to pain.
after I 'd give her some pain meds, she'd improve greatly. dogs are stoic.

with one of my bitches .. very abnormal behaviour just like you described .. it was very pronounced the first day and a half after the section, back to normal by end of day three .. reaction to the anaesthetic.

I wonder if she is painful. Slipping on a slick floor at the vets or thrashing around when coming out of anesthesia could have caused her to tweak her back. This can also cause a fear/avoidance reaction to the flooring. Also there may be some discomfort from the surgical incision deep in her abdomen where she is not used to feeling pain. Her behavior seems more like fear and avoiding situations, as she is running and hiding from something (pain that she can't control).
Check her back and neck, and see if you can elicit any pain. Keep her resting and let her hang out in her crate, away from the rest of the dogs for 2-3 days, and see if that helps. Don't let her jump or run wildly through the house, use a leash to let her out by herself. Let us know how she is doing.

Something similar happened to my friends bitch who had surgical. Turned out she had a very bad case or razor burn.

Thank you for the suggestions everyone, she is coming around getting back to her old self. Our vet also called the Reproductive Vet today, they still think it is hormonal.

I also think it's because she was in pain. Some relate the floor to be the blame for the hurting in her tummy. As they walk on the floor it hurts them. Most dogs will hide in a crate or a dark spot when in pain. Happy to hear she is coming around. If only they could talk. Please let us know how it goes so we can learn from this.

A shout out to everyone who answered and made us not feel so crazy and over protective. This is the most practical, matter of fact girl you could ever deal with, her bizarre behavior really made us worry. She is back to a 100%.the tail thumps when you walk into the room she is in and her eyes never leave you even though she doesn't lift her head. We have her back!!!! So thank you all. Now to worry until the ultrasound!