Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Diamond recalls expanded on May 4th to include more products and states

http://www.diamondpet.com/information/

Re: Diamond recalls expanded on May 4th to include more products and states

Here is a larger list...http://diamondpetrecall.com/

So it was another Friday night dump the news and run home for the weekend, away from the phones. Sigh. You'd think I would have gotten used to it, but one never gets used to bad food, or the risk of sick or dying beings (pets and their people).

I note that their information or main recall site lists some states, whereas even more are included in the recalls on the link with the map and the list of their brands. They can't even get that straight.

Today we got a phone call from Costco (recorded message) that stated there was a recall on Kirkland foods and that we could return any food we had for a refund. We shop at the Costco in Enfield, CT.

folks hospitalized, Re: Diamond recalls expanded on May 4th to include more products and states

AP wire reported late on May 4th that people in at least 9 states have been sickened by salmonella seemingly linked to Diamond pet foods from the now closed SC plant, the same plant implicated in aflatoxin problems a number of years ago, 2005. Some are hospitalized. Natural Balance seems to be doing a huge proactive recall, even thought they claimed when asked, that all food is tested after manufacture. Thanks, Beth, for the info on the robocalls from Costco.

folks hospitalized, Re: Diamond recalls expanded on May 4th to include more products and states

I still will continue to feed my Diamond as it was not made in that SC plant - here is the info to check where the food was made, off the Diamond site:

"If your production code has a 2 or 3 in the 9th or 10th position AND an “X” in the 11th position, your product is affected by the recall. If the product you have does not include a 2 or 3 in the 9th or 10th position AND an “X” in the 11th position, your product is not affected by the recall, and you can continue to feed it as usual."

This is a weird spot to be in. Checking the bags from Costco with a magnifying glass and trying to read the production codes.

Not a good feeling. Makes me really wonder about the production standards at that plant. 151 individual quality checks.

Maybe 152 checks would be in order.

Did anyone find a date on their bags? I couldn't find one.

Yes, my bag was an affected bag. The date was in the orange box on the back next to the bar code.

I had ordered through Amazon.com and they just overnighted me a new bag.

All Diamond plants are back up and running. Additionally, they have opened a 4th plant in California. Diamond is prioritizing the most popular skus for their production runs. For example, all Taste of Wild large bag skus are being produced and are starting to be received at distributor warehouses. In addition to all Diamond products, Canidae, Natural Balance, Solid Gold & Wellpet stock is also being replenished.

Just got this from my vet hospital.

If the latest information on the pet food recall has you confused, check out this blog. It is the Worms & Germs Blog run by Dr. Scott Weese at the University of Guelph, Ontario, Canada. (http://www.wormsandgermsblog.com/). Dr. Weese and his group have published the majority of the work on zoonotic disease and food-borne pathogens for pets.