Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Need advice for running a match

Hi all,
Looking for advice - have been asked to be match chair. I've been to several, but am looking for pointers on stuff to consider the day of the match - especially tips for taking entries. How many people? best way to record entries for judges and stewards? What should I be thinking about??? we will have breed classes, obedience and sweepstakes.

TIA

Re: Need advice for running a match

AKC website has downloadable pamphlets that cover all the rules you will need to follow. Just because you do not award points does not mean that you can run this 'fast and loose.' You are also required to file appropriate paperwork with AKC before you are even able to hold the match. Find someone who has done it before, and ask for their help as being a Match Chair is a big undertaking.

I am familiar with the "Rules Applying to Sanctioned Matches, Dog Shows, Obedience Trials, etc," thank you very much and I'm not looking to cut corners. Perhaps I need to clarify that I'm only looking for helpful hints on how to make things run more smoothly- best way to take entries, system for getting them recorded, how many people works, how to schedule classes if you're running 2 conformation rings, etc. I just want things to run smoothly and don't want to reinvent the wheel.

If anyone else has any creative ideas I'd love to hear them.

Thanks!

Here are some things that I have learned about running a match. They may or may not work for you.

1. Close sweeps entries at least 15 minutes before the start of judging so you can put the sweeps money in the envelopes. Have the sweeps envelopes labeled with the class and placement ahead of time. Also, I have a chart I made that tells how much to give back for each placement based on the cost of the class and the number of dogs entered. If you post your email address and the cost of your class I would be happy to send it to you.

2. We put sweeps entry and regular entry for the same dog on separate entry forms. This makes it easier to organize the number of dogs in each class for the sweeps money .

3. We use a book with a carbon copy for the judges book so the club can get a copy for their records and the judge can keep a copy. I think it was bought at staples.

4. We have 3 people at the entry table - 1 person to take the entry from the person, one person to take the money, and one person put the entry numbers in the judges book. It may sound like a lot of people but when you have everyone show up at once things run smoothly with three people. The hardest job is putting the entries from the entry form onto the judges book in the right class. Don't wait until the last minute to do this. It is easier to do as you go along.

5. Use different color entry form for sweeps and for regular class. It helps the person who is putting the entry numbers in the judges book not make mistakes.

I hope this helps.

Thanks you so much Janet - this was exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for. Match isn't for a few months, we'll see how it goes....