Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Recently bred bitch with A-T-T-I-T-U-D-E

Maiden bitch, bred several days in a row last week, stud dog says she is out of heat since Friday morning (no interest).
My issue is, this bitch is still occasionally mounting my older bitch (14 years old!), is flirting with a neutered male, has ripped up other dogs' bedding, has a challanging attitude about social issues, wants things HER way, and is not listening to me! ("What? Didn't hear you say not to run outside! Too late now, haha!")
In short, she is young, not quite two, but is acting like the alpha bitch, and everybody is just kind of going along with it.
Some of the dogs in the pack are going, "Oh crap, here she comes again, pretend you don't see her!"
My question is, has anyone seen this before and does it indicate pregnancy? My guess is that she is pregnant, and that her hormones have raised her in stature, but have never seen this before.
I should say, her normal personality is very sweet and playful, which she still is, but she's acting out and behaving in ways that are not like her. Help!

Re: Recently bred bitch with A-T-T-I-T-U-D-E

Don't think you'll get a lot of help beings you're breeding (hopefully) on prelims. Why not wait until final clearances are done and maybe she's a bit more mentally mature??? Then again, you've obviously just stuck your boy with one of your girls...

Harsh, and presumptuous....was this necessary?
She is plenty mature enough to be bred, my question was regarding the alpha attitude being an indicator of pregnancy, but thank you for inserting your unsolicited opinions about breeding her.
There are so many reasons why experienced breeders decide to breed when the bitch is not yet two years old. In my case, it has to do with the bitch's timing (she came in heat 2 months early), the age and condition of the stud dog (my beloved 11 year old who I almost lost 6 months ago, but thankfully he recovered!), re-establishing my lines due to life circumstances (not things I did, things that happened TO me), and my availability to spend 100% of my time to this upcoming litter. I don't know when my bitch will come in heat again, or if my stud dog will still be alive when she does.
The reproductive experts I consulted felt that breeding a bitch prior to age two, when they are young and healthy, is a far better scenario than waiting till they are older, finished champions, like I'm sure all your bitches are!
I have been breeding and showing Labradors of uncompromising quality for 24 years, and she represents my ninth generation.
And by the way, her prelims at 19 months were OFA excellent, elbows clear, cerf clear, and Optigen and EIC clear by parentage.
Is that good enough for you, "Breeder?"

God help me!
Harsh, and presumptuous....was this necessary?
She is plenty mature enough to be bred, my question was regarding the alpha attitude being an indicator of pregnancy, but thank you for inserting your unsolicited opinions about breeding her.
There are so many reasons why experienced breeders decide to breed when the bitch is not yet two years old. In my case, it has to do with the bitch's timing (she came in heat 2 months early), the age and condition of the stud dog (my beloved 11 year old who I almost lost 6 months ago, but thankfully he recovered!), re-establishing my lines due to life circumstances (not things I did, things that happened TO me), and my availability to spend 100% of my time to this upcoming litter. I don't know when my bitch will come in heat again, or if my stud dog will still be alive when she does.
The reproductive experts I consulted felt that breeding a bitch prior to age two, when they are young and healthy, is a far better scenario than waiting till they are older, finished champions, like I'm sure all your bitches are!
I have been breeding and showing Labradors of uncompromising quality for 24 years, and she represents my ninth generation.
And by the way, her prelims at 19 months were OFA excellent, elbows clear, cerf clear, and Optigen and EIC clear by parentage.
Is that good enough for you, "Breeder?"

Well said I have been following this forum for awhile now as I am new to the lab world and let me say there are a lot of BITCHESon here and I don't mean dogs. They criticize anything and anyone they feel don't do things to their "standards" yet none will put a name or a kennel listing as to who they are either. So good luck to you trying to get anything informative from here unless your looking for there expertise on being BITCHES

Yep, it takes all kinds, doesn't it!
There is some helpful information out there, so don't give up. I have actually gotten some good info from experienced breeders from this forum.
There are many "instant experts" who are quite willing to jump down peoples' throats though, I understand your frustrations.

God help me!
Yep, it takes all kinds, doesn't it!
There is some helpful information out there, so don't give up. I have actually gotten some good info from experienced breeders from this forum.
There are many "instant experts" who are quite willing to jump down peoples' throats though, I understand your frustrations.

Sorry, not an "instant expert" - have been doing this for many years as well. Your initial email indicates an inexperienced breeder who knows nothing about behavior during hormonal heat cycles and is blase about breeding before final clearances are done. There might be a good reason to breed before 2, but most of us have done it and been bit in the butt by it, so not something to take lightly.

FWIW, last time I had a bitch so bitchy after breeding, the bitch didn't take...

Again, it is presumed (incorrectly) by you that I am blase about breeding. Quite the opposite! My breeder/exhibitor friends know me to be very serious about breeding issues.
Again, you presume (incorrectly) that I am inexperienced. (Maybe you mistake humor for "inexperience?")
Again, this breeding, like all my breedings, was well-thought out, planned, researched, and dreamed about for a long time, not taken lightly by any means. I know MY LINES very well, emphasis on MY LINES.
Again, I am a well educated and experienced person, just have not personally experienced this type of reaction AFTER a bitch comes out of heat.
And, I have never bred a bitch before she was two in 24 years, this is literally the first time for the aforementioned reasons.
But if you say YOU have, shame on you!
If anyone other than "breeder" has any similar experiences to my bitch's behavior, I would be interested in that experience or insight (my original post).
"Breeder" it's past your bedtime...

God help me!
Again, it is presumed (incorrectly) by you that I am blase about breeding. Quite the opposite! My breeder/exhibitor friends know me to be very serious about breeding issues.
Again, you presume (incorrectly) that I am inexperienced. (Maybe you mistake humor for "inexperience?")
Again, this breeding, like all my breedings, was well-thought out, planned, researched, and dreamed about for a long time, not taken lightly by any means. I know MY LINES very well, emphasis on MY LINES.
Again, I am a well educated and experienced person, just have not personally experienced this type of reaction AFTER a bitch comes out of heat.
And, I have never bred a bitch before she was two in 24 years, this is literally the first time for the aforementioned reasons.
If anyone other than "breeder" has any similar experiences to my bitch's behavior, I would be interested in that experience or insight (my original post).

Obviously you didn't read my previous email carefully. I didn't say YOU were blase, I said your INITIAL POST made it sound like you were blase about breeding a bitch prior to final clearances.

And no, I've never bred a bitch on prelims - I've bred to a stud dog prior to 2 years of age (prelims done not much before 2), and the dog didn't pass his finals.

As far as well-educated, I've got a PhD in a scientific field - you?

And why would you think it's past my bedtime - it's only 10:30 pm on the west coast!

You know, you don't have to explain yourself to the know-it-all. Some people are just like that - so what.

As to your question, I had one girl do that with her 3rd litter. Previously, her behavior was quite normal. I think, with hormones, just about anything is possible. I hope she has a nice litter for you.

to the judgmental breeder...I've bred on pre-lims occasionally and the 2 nightmare litters a few years back were from mature girls over the age of 2, all final health clearances , mature stud dogs used, both Am Champions. I don't believe for a minute that breeding on prelims..esp dogs who are closer to 18 to 24 months will bite you in the butt. You can get bit in the behind anytime you put 2 dogs together, no matter how well planned any given planned breeding is.

Also to the original poster who asked about her girl's change in attitude, our experience has been that some of our girls will get clingier, some will revert back to the terrible 2's with selective hearing. Sounds like your girl who you think is pregnant is experiencing hormonal changes if her attitude is so drastic from her norm. Good luck on this special breeding !!!!

I see no reason to breed young dogs either. Let them mature, maybe part of the problem. But that is just part of mating, the girls do continue for days to hump play with the other dogs. Means nothing. And you could freeze your older boy. I don't really see it as an attitude !

God help me!

You are not acting like an experienced breeder. You would know that bitches go through hormonal changes and they all behave like that after they are done breeding or off their estrus.
I don't care if your bitch wasn't 2 years old yet, but do certainly hope you prelimed her. 24 month is not a magic number. Cleared dogs can become dysplastic a few months after having OFA certifications. Breeding at 20 months or 30 months doesn't have any difference to me.
Mentally yes, it sounds like your bitch is still acting like a puppy and she would probably have been better off the whelping box for a few more months.
As per your stud, you can always freeze his sperm. If he is so valuable, then it would be worth it.

Joy
to the judgmental breeder...I've bred on pre-lims occasionally and the 2 nightmare litters a few years back were from mature girls over the age of 2, all final health clearances , mature stud dogs used, both Am Champions. I don't believe for a minute that breeding on prelims..esp dogs who are closer to 18 to 24 months will bite you in the butt. You can get bit in the behind anytime you put 2 dogs together, no matter how well planned any given planned breeding is.

Very well said :)

Breeder 24
God help me!

You are not acting like an experienced breeder. You would know that bitches go through hormonal changes and they all behave like that after they are done breeding or off their estrus.
I don't care if your bitch wasn't 2 years old yet, but do certainly hope you prelimed her. 24 month is not a magic number. Cleared dogs can become dysplastic a few months after having OFA certifications. Breeding at 20 months or 30 months doesn't have any difference to me.
Mentally yes, it sounds like your bitch is still acting like a puppy and she would probably have been better off the whelping box for a few more months.
As per your stud, you can always freeze his sperm. If he is so valuable, then it would be worth it.
. Another well stated reply.