Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
just info latest from china...

Thousands of dogs massacred for instant noodles in Jilin Province, China
www.occupyforanimals.org
April 28, 2012 A brand of instant noodle manufactured in Jilin Province “Dog Meat Instant Noodles” marketed and sold throughout China, has been found to have massacred tens of thousand of dogs....

i´m sorry to bring these most devastating news, but asia is "hell" for dogs, of course there are the good people but the ruling meatdog mafia,is all over, + the many abandoned dogs as people buy as status symbols not knowing in the least what they should do or what grows from the puppy and no idea of breed´s needs or training. ritva, who will try to help as i found so many retrievers and labradors among the rescued ones.anybody wanting any more info please contact me via my e-mail you are most wellcome. ritva

Re: just info latest from china...

What can we do?

This is horrific. I agree, anything we can do? There should be an expose on tv.

This disturbs me on many levels. We all need to get this info to a major news show like Nightline or 20/20. China's imports are flooding our markets and we already have many dog treat recalls from them. I wonder what the USDA would say about this if they came upon a shipment of these noodles into the USA?

Also we need to see what can be done to encourage China to stop such blatant and ugly slaughtering of dogs for food? An outcry from other Nations could make them rethink?

Are any Foreign Rescue groups involved in this Province or the other one who banned larged dogs Ritva?

Re: just info latest from china...SORRY LONG BUT INFORMATION NO ALARMING FOTOS

yes dears, that is the best way, information, information i have contacted FCI president, finnish & us kennel clubs, what ever i could think of and breeders just to iform not to blame anyone.

here is a pedigree? chinese dog market, i don´t know exactly what it is but they sell dogs like this normally to buyers at many markets around...pictures not harmful to look at, just different methods???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PO-u7Rc4qkM&feature=related

today news from elly maynard & husband mike new zealand number one lady to help for ages ever since st bernhard dogs ended as show dogs to china via russia ending as number 1 meat dogs at chinese huge meat dog farms, switzerland no power to end it but now some light visible for support...
To: "Undisclosed-Recipient:;"@mail01.eol.co.nz
Sent: Thursday, May 10, 2012 11:07 AM
Subject: A Paw in the Door - Sirius' Submission to the U.N.

Sirius Global Animal Organisation
NGO in Special Consultative Status with the Economic
and Social Council of the United Nations
www.siriusgao.org

Dear Friends,

Back in January we were asked to submit an initial statement to a High Level Segment meeting of the Economic and Social Council of the United Nations (ECOSOC). We did this and were then invited to supply a written Submission on the subject of Combating Poverty (reproduced below).

We are delighted to be able to tell you that on May 2nd 2012 we received the following response from the UN.

"Thank you for your interest in contributing to the 2012 High Level Segment of the Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC). The NGO branch of the United Nations Department of Economic and Social Affairs is pleased to inform you that your written statement was accepted for distribution to all participants of the ECOSOC High Level Segment this year.

"The NGO Branch congratulates you on Sirius Global Animal Charitable Trust's continuous efforts to contribute to the work of the ECOSOC.

"The statements are being edited and translated into the six official UN languages from now until July."

The UN meeting in New York is 2-9 July 2012 and is a fantastic opportunity to have this issue discussed at the highest levels. This truly is "a paw in the door".

The languages referred to are Arabic, Chinese, English, French, Spanish and Russian.
Our short presentation entitled "Should we infect the poor to fight poverty? is reproduced below. We will of course be pleased to keep you updated with developements.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Sirius Global Animal Organisation Trust (SiriusGAOT) represents countless supporters globally as was proven by 4.75 million signatories to a petition calling for dogs to be classified as unsuitable for human consumption, presented to the (FAO)UN, 2001.

"The purpose of this brief Submission is to show the health risks to humans from consuming dogs.

"In some Asian countries the practice of slaughtering dogs for human consumption is expanding and new semi-legal “dog farm” industries are emerging despite growing acceptance of pets amongst the newly affluent as economies evolve. These operations tend to be more commercially orientated forms of previous cottage industries and cater largely for the older and less educated population. Many countries have outlawed this practice. The Republic of the Philippines has banned the consumption of dogs due to the ease by which rabies is transmitted through infected meat. Thailand has also cracked down on the illegal trading of dogs to neighboring Vietnam.

"It is sometimes claimed that dogs are a source of protein for the poor. Whilst this may be true in an extremely few isolated cases, wherever it is regarded as a “traditional” meat, it is usually more expensive than chicken, pork or even beef.

"Rabies is not the only disease that can have a detrimental effect on humans when dog meat is consumed. Knowledge of the epidemiology of the disease organisms is the first step in initiating a control program. The ultimate objective is to protect and preserve both human and animal health. There are a number of zoonoses (and potential zoonoses) which are endemic in the dog population, largely in south-east Asia but also throughout the world.

"By eating dog meat, the risk of contracting any and all of the diseases listed below is substantial.

· Rabies virus

· Escherichia coli

· Salmonella spp.

· Shigella spp

· Yersinia spp

· Campylobacter spp

· Leptospira spp

· Pasteurella spp

· Bordetella spp

· Brucella spp

· Listeria spp

· Bacillus spp

· Mycobacterium spp

· Coronavirus

· Fungal and Endoparascitic Diseases

"The World Health Organisation has pointed out an alarming increase in the incidence of antibiotic resistant strains of Salmonella, which are due to the use of antibiotics in intensive breeding. The fact that anti-microbial resistance is so prevalent is of extreme importance in the consumption of all animals, especially dogs. Many of the bacteria and other pathogens found in dogs are resistant to anti-microbial therapy.

"Dogs are companion animals that serve mankind well. Dogs are a unique animal and it is indeed the fundamental human right to expect that these animals are not used in the human food chain.

"We call upon UNESCO to recognise that, apart from being morally repugnant to a growing number of people in the counties where it is still practiced, the eating of dog-meat presents a serious risk to human health. It is seldom eaten through necessity, but as a luxury item. Promoting it as food for the poor would be unconscionable."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for your continued support.

Elly Maynard
President
Sirius Global Animal Organisation Trust
NGO in Special Consultative Status with
the Economic and Social Council of the United Nations
www.siriusgao.org

with warm regards from ritva in finland
and huge thaks from every rescued dog...also labradors & many goldens in china, thailand, philippines, vietnam & south korea...every country has their caring rescue people working ..
not meaning to alarm anyone, but good to know.

http://www.animalsasia.org jill robinsson and her wonderful moon bear rescue team rescued new year 2009 147 dogs on their way to illegal slaughter house in china and the chocolate labrador boy was among them, he didn´t make it but passed away over the rainbow bridge in loving arms of jill´s crew...this was my day 1 to inform, what goes on as no one can imagine. i don´t blame any breeder for selling but to think?

ACTAsia
January 16, 2012 12:06 AM
To: 'Ritva Juutilainen'
Subject: RE: retired finnair stewardess ritva juutilainen finland....big foot labradors
Dear Ritva,

Thank you for contacting us and sorry for the belated reply. We don’t have any specific information on rescued Labradors in China.

In general, though, you are right and many dogs await a sad life in China. Pet keeping is relatively new, and with the rise of living standards, the demand for pedigree dogs is high. Therefore there’s uncontrolled breeding and trade, puppy mills and hardly any regulations in the pet industry. One can imagine the animal welfare standards in the industry are very low. Next to that, there’s a lot of abandonment afterwards because responsible pet ownership is not a common concept in China, neither is neutering. And sometimes, a sudden decision by the government to reduce dogs in the city can lead to drastic measurements like confiscating and killing dogs. You can read some more about this on page 44. of our Changing China report.

Following on from the desire for pedigree dogs and their subsequent abandonment, many ‘fashionable’ breeds can be found in shelters, among which Labradors. http://www.facebook.com/pages/ACTAsia-for-Animals/26459649616#!/photo.php?v=2695947399499&set=vb.26459649616&type=2&theater

Thanks for your efforts to prevent breeders to export to China. Hope this is of any help to you. Don’t hesitate for further questions.

Best wishes,

Nel van Amerongen

ACTAsia for Animals

in thailand soi dogs is working hard to rescue meat dogs among all others, many.
http://www.soidog.org/en/you-can-help-stop-the-dog-meat-trade/

ritva.juutilainen@pp.inet.fi most wellcome to contact could i inform of anything please. ritva

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/251/363/115/the-large-dog-such-as-golden-retriever-labrador-samoyd-chow-chow-ect/

the petiton to rescue the dogs.
even if these are shocking news, knowing about it is important and rescues are working little by little. also no breeder is blaimed for their personal decitions. best
ritva and the girls

I saw the other night on the news where hundreds of dogs were rescued from slaughter in, I believe, China. The poor dogs were packed into crates together with no room to move. It showed some rescuers giving the dogs water. All shapes and sizes of dogs, one looked like a little Pekingese. This is honestly, beyond belief that in this day and age horrendous, brutal slaughter of our beloved canines exists. You could see in their eyes they knew they were not in a good place. Thank God, they were saved, but there are many others whose fate is doomed because they somehow ended up in the wrong country. They need our help and hopefully, the people (if that's what you call them) will be held responsible.

It's very sad but I feel we have to address the problems at home 1st always. We have large problems with rescue and non rescued dogs in the USA mostly out of puppy mills.

I make donations here. For example to the 2 above, LLL and Labmed, Lab Rescue or to no-kill local shelters.

dears, rescue at home is very good and i as finnair stewardess know the us/canada you name it problems with mills/pounds/breed rescues etc...has shocked me as we don´t have anything like that in scandinavia, some bad breeders though but soon checked on.

this is all something one never could dream of and i´m not asking for a single cent of money just wanting to inform as so many do sell their dogs to asian countries, not blaiming them any way, but people don´t know what goes on...elly maynard sirius rescue has worked world wide to stop meat dog business and no dog in asia is safe.
https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Sirius-Global-Animal-Organisation/186631904749048

all that i would wish humbly is the sharing the knowledge so people know and make their choices. all due to the fact that our breed labradors are found among the meat dogs...to my knowledge starting new year 2009 as animalsasia rescued the 147 dogs. goledes much longer and its also a question of what the status fashoin says.

none of you is blamed in any way and everyone has their own priorities and life...this just happens to be mine as my officer/gentleman/military history writer husband got brainbleeding (he is ok) and i hade to leave labrador breeding they are our therapy family members now full time and good ones.
ritva, the retired finnair stewardess...europeian crew memebers where never wellcomed into us/canadian pet shops as we knew exactly where the puppies came from.

I agree with the post regarding having our own problems here. We do have many atrocities, but not to the magnitude of what is going on in Asian countries. It is horrific, carried out by cowards who have no regard for pain, suffering or fear. Thank God for angels like Ritva. Because of people like her, who have traveled all over the globe and has seen first hand the misery, the dogs in Asia now have a voice. Thank you Ritva, the massacre will stop. It may take some time, but getting the word out is a start in the right direction. We still have many dogs who anguish in puppy mills and bad breeders here in the USA, but it is being addressed. These people know who they are and should also know it's not going unnoticed.

ups, making me a bit timid here, i´m not an angel, but as price once said, he understands why i´m so independent, as i´m born on july 4th...anno dazumahl, so i´m about 120 years old/young.
no the picture and video of the chocolate labrador male 2009 at animalsasia rescue ...changed my life for ever, those eyes.
also the eyes of all the rescued ones are my driving force and the joy of every saved one.
elly maynard sirius is the bravest lady i know and admire as is jill robinsson animalsasia the moon bear rescue also having the time to rescue the dogs and the diplomatic discussions with chinese authorities. ritva and the girls.

We need to get this information out there and on our national news. Pet owners here in the US love their companions and will do anything for them. Sure, there are a few bad apples who exploit them for $$$$, but for the most part they are considered family, certainly NOT food! To see them loaded in crates on their way to become meat on someone's dinner plate will outrage any civilized nation. I won't buy anything that is remotely connected to an Asian country. It's sickening and it needs to stop.

World News
We need to get this information out there and on our national news.

How? Any practical suggestions? Any organized effort to join or support? What will the Chinese use instead of dog meat? Is there something else available to them that has similar nutrition and cost?

There's NBC News, ABC, CBS, Newsweek, Fox News, Washington Post. Send a copy of the links Ritva posted with photos (easy to find on the internet, if you can bare to look at them). It's a start. There are many celebrity animal activists who have more clout and the means to follow through until there is progress and awareness of exactly what is happening. What China has to replace dog meat?? Who cares?? Let them import food whose slaughter was more humane than stealing dogs to eat. This cruel trade is more about money than nutrition. Are you kidding??

Nutrition?
There's NBC News, ABC, CBS, Newsweek, Fox News, Washington Post. Send a copy of the links Ritva posted with photos (easy to find on the internet, if you can bare to look at them). It's a start. There are many celebrity animal activists who have more clout and the means to follow through until there is progress and awareness of exactly what is happening. What China has to replace dog meat?? Who cares?? Let them import food whose slaughter was more humane than stealing dogs to eat. This cruel trade is more about money than nutrition. Are you kidding??

Are you kidding me? While I despise the thought of eating dog meat since I was raised in that type of a culture where dogs are cherished pets. What gives us the right to tell another country to change its customs because we find it appalling? I'm sure the people of India are just as disgusted with our consumption of beef since they hold their cows sacred.

We are not the policemen of the world. We do not have to sell our dogs to places that put them or their offspring in jeopardy either. I think most breeders are well aware of countries who eat dogs as part of their culture and don't sell to those countries or are extremely careful about whom they sell to.

I don't think any Animal Rights Groups or Celebrity will even touch this cause. They are too busy trying to take away our rights to breed in this country. This is where we should be most concerned right now.

Butt out
Nutrition?

Are you kidding me? While I despise the thought of eating dog meat since I was raised in that type of a culture where dogs are cherished pets. What gives us the right to tell another country to change its customs because we find it appalling? I'm sure the people of India are just as disgusted with our consumption of beef since they hold their cows sacred.

We are not the policemen of the world. We do not have to sell our dogs to places that put them or their offspring in jeopardy either. I think most breeders are well aware of countries who eat dogs as part of their culture and don't sell to those countries or are extremely careful about whom they sell to.

I don't think any Animal Rights Groups or Celebrity will even touch this cause. They are too busy trying to take away our rights to breed in this country. This is where we should be most concerned right now.

Butt out?? Oh that's intelligent. Have you ever seen a Seeing Eye Guide cow, a cadaver rescue pig or a drug sniffing goat? Not that farm animals aren't intelligent, sensitive beings but dogs can be trained to do almost anything we ask of them. Slaughtering dogs in Asia is gruesome enough, but the way it's done is even more repulsive. It says alot about the Asian people. We have many groups and individuals in this country trying to make a difference (whether we agree with them or not) for our four legged friends. I doubt there is much being done in Asia by the Asian people to stop this atrocity. We don't know who will help unless we try.

Nutrition?
Let them import food whose slaughter was more humane than stealing dogs to eat.

Have you been there? How are these people able to "import" meat? What options do they have to get nutrition? Do you know if dog meat is the best they can do to get protein and live and feed their children? They are in China, not the US where we can trot down to our local grocery store and purchase virtually any kind of meat we want.

Go there
Nutrition?

Have you been there? How are these people able to "import" meat? What options do they have to get nutrition? Do you know if dog meat is the best they can do to get protein and live and feed their children? They are in China, not the US where we can trot down to our local grocery store and purchase virtually any kind of meat we want.

The reports that I've seen in the past said dog is a delicacy in China, not a mainstay. I don't think people in China understand the word "cruel" as they are known to skin animals alive, they also enjoy eating deep fried fish that's still alive. I don't fault people for eating animals that aren't apart of my custom but killing the animal should be done humanely. The cruelty sickens me.

Go there
Nutrition?

Beef, lamb, chicken, pork, duck, DOGS, CATS. All meat they consume. Yes, they are in China, the country that "owns" us and eats dogs. Go there? That's the last place on earth I would ever go. I feel sorry for any animal that is unfortunate enough to be there. I hear the word "Asia" and I immediately think of the dogs.

I've read that dog meat is becoming more popular in rural Switzerland and that dog fat is used for medicinal purposes there. Maybe Ritva you should investigate that more close to home?

Hard to believe the Swiss are as cruel and uncivilized as Asian countries. I don't believe it.

Swissy
I've read that dog meat is becoming more popular in rural Switzerland and that dog fat is used for medicinal purposes there. Maybe Ritva you should investigate that more close to home?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/1155558.stm

It looks like one article is dated 2004 and the other over sixteen years ago. Hopefuly, the Swiss have their act together by now. Even back then it sounds like there were protests. Somehow, I doubt there are many protesters in China.

I heard on the World News they are now training dogs to detect when people faint. Just another amazing story of the intelligence of dogs. Think of the work the dogs in Asia could do for humanity, instead they are tortured and eaten. I just pray to God it stops.

dear but out,
you might have some issues of breeding in usa but its nothing to be compared what the dogs in asia are going trough, also the person who would allow the asians, chinese, vietnamese, thais, south koreans & philippinos treat their dogs as the meat dogs are treated, the more they suffer, i will not go to deatails...the healthier food for the them...
issues you cannot discuss on the same day. regards
ritva in finland

http://www.siriusgao.org/emails.html rescue and mike & elly maynard in new zealand have worked to help the meat dogs as long as i can remember and i just love them for that as has recently animalsasia org jill robinsoon, a moon bear rescue who also has the heart for the meat dogs, and they had the chocolate labrador boy rescue who didn´t make it but passed away in the loving arms not at the illegal butchers where they were headed new year 2009. that day i started to do all i can to inform breeders what goes on. also knwoing the attitude of the asians as dog owners...some good ones do exist, but most have no clue what to do with their status symbols and they get abandoned and destiny i don´t want to know? also the chinese authorities don´t aprove of dogs of the size of labs...again is destiny safe? and chinese latest is the making of nudels with dog meat...every day some ubelievable new chinese inventions??? ritva...sorry long again.

dears, they have food there, they can shop meat...BUT THIS IS GOOD FOR VARIOUS REASONS TO KEEP WARM OR COLD IN HOT OR COLD WEATHER YOU NAME IT...IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH LACK OF FOOD. its in no way necessary and its all done with utmost brutality in front of waiting dogs and its all about meat dog mafia making money.also for fur so check out waht is your fur collar made of??? what ever it says...could b our best friends? ritva

dear, thank you kindly for your advice about the swiss issue, would you kindly give me more specific information directly to my e-mail and i´m trying to see what i can do?
ritva.juutilainen@pp.inet.fi
also i have been flying around the world for 34 years as finnair stewardess and my dog knowledge world wide is huge and helping a dog, labradors as number 1 is my heart thing...and there are the dangered labs.
1st meat dogs to china were swiss st bernhard dogs sold from russia to china as show dogs and now big dog farms breeding them for food. regards and waiting for your assistance and info?

mike and elly maynard new zealand sirius (conectus@entenet.co.nz, ritva.juutilainen@pp.inet.fi)
rescue has worked from day one to end it and we do go forward and many get rescued today but china invents daily new methods and also forbids all labrador size dogs in several areas and owners must get rid of the dogs....
regards
ritva and her beloved labradors
all messages most wellcome and i´m also on face book.

http://europe.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2012-04/23/content_15110838.htm
its ok to read and look...
regards ritva

Re: just info latest from china...ALSO SOUTH KOREA WITH GOVERNMENT HUGE MEAT DOG FARMS LIKE CHINA

KATHERINE WORKS IN SOUTH KOREA AND ALSO DOES RESCUE WORK.

Katherine Hall Hi^^ Ritva nice to hear from you! Yes, we get quite a lot of Labrador retrievers here. Many end up at shelters (I think because they are so cute and irresistible as puppies, but then grow "too big for an apartment"
I saw one St Bernard here as well, but he had an owner.
Take care and thank you for all you are doing as well!

https://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?fbid=10151153091933356&set=a.10150400336713356.441514.835278355&type=1&theater

REGARDS ritva

Re: just info latest from china...ALSO SOUTH KOREA WITH GOVERNMENT HUGE MEAT DOG FARMS LIKE CHINA

RITVA JUUTILAINEN

Katherine Hall Hi^^ Ritva nice to hear from you! Yes, we get quite a lot of Labrador retrievers here. Many end up at shelters (I think because they are so cute and irresistible as puppies, but then grow "too big for an apartment"

https://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?fbid=10151153091933356&set=a.10150400336713356.441514.835278355&type=1&theater

REGARDS ritva

What happens to the shelter dogs in Korea? Do they end up as meat dogs? How do Labradors get there in the first place? Thank you for all you do, Ritva.

dear, sorry for not being here recently, but you can gladly contact me any time at my e-mail
in asia, it seems to be a status symbol to own a labrador, and seeing a labrador puppy, who can resist? owners have no idea of dog training, ownership, anything and if there is the great familiar wet-gun-dog-smell, etc...and puppy grown bigger than owner expected, abandoned and many stolen and what happen then who can tell??? china fobids labrador sized dogs in areas i would never trust anyone in asia so many labradors meeting odd destinies, philippines, thailand, china, south korea, vietnam and july certain time for dog eaters to have a big party and lots of dogs meet their suffering end.
after seeing my 1st labrador rescued from meat dog illegal slaughterhouse new year 2009 i will never stop trying to do something and i have a great person in new zealand elly & mike maynard who i adore for her work for the meat dogs which are in the hands of emat dog mafia. best with hugs ritva.

RITVA JUUTILAINEN

REGARDS ritva

I guess they took down what you posted Ritva J. It says;

This content is currently unavailable
The page you requested cannot be displayed right now. It may be temporarily unavailable, the link you clicked on may have expired, or you may not have permission to view this page.

It might be a private account or may be they took it off.