Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
A Must Read for Breeders

If posting a child's picture, other than your own child, on your website (either because you bred the dog, or sold the dog to the family) get the parents permission first before you post it!

This is what happened to me....I purchased a pup from a breeder. Began showing her, and as excited as I was about her doing so well in the ring, I never gave a second thought to allowing the breeder to post her (my daughter then 6 yrs old pic's) pic's with our dog on their website.
Yesterday, I received an email inquiry from a man. He says he saw the breeders website, then searched the name of our dog, which lead him straight to my website. He wasn't asking about upcoming litters, puppies or older Labs BUT about my daughter. He goes on to say, "that she's very pretty" and he wishes her a long lived show career. He continues that he has a Grand-daughter interested in showing, then goes on to ask where my daughter will be showing next? At this point I'm totally freaking out! Next, I email the breeder demanding she remove all pictures which my daughter are in from her website. I gave her no reason why - I just demanded that of her. Now, I admit this was not appropriate behavior. She didn't take my demanding email well, and demanded things of myself.
Back to the story...I calmed down enough and begin to think again. I then decide to email this man. Thinking I over re-acted I should share info on Junior handling, and how to get started in it. At least - try to give him the benefit of doubt. I hit the send button to find his email address isn't valid. So naturally I begin to rethink his email and was getting a weird vibe all over again, something just wasn't right with this man's email.
Back to the breeder...In the meantime time I get the breeders reply email - says, "will do, try to have a good day and don't contact me anymore"!

Re-thinking what happened and the trickle down affect it had on all of us, and after talking to a good friend about it she said, "I should give the breeder an explanation" for my demanding email - which I did. She has not responded. I'm sure she would feel badly if anything happened to my daughter as a result of her website.

Breeders, if you're ever in this breeder position - don't take it personally. Ask what's happening, and try to help the person through the issue at hand. Any parent will act before they think when their child's safety is questioned.

Parents, give thought about allowing others to post your children's pic's on their websites.

Though the Internet is a good tool, it remembers everything about everyone!

Communication is important - take a step back and think - what would I do in this situation...

A valuable lesson learned!

FYI...my daughter is 11 yrs old. She will continue showing but will not be left unattended.

Re: A Must Read for Breeders

I am sorry this happened to you. I worry about my children posting pictures of their children on Facebook.

It is also illegal to post a picture of a child without the consent in writing (to be safe)from the parents or guardian. I used to paint so learned this well with using children in my paintings.

I am a mother of two, both in college now. they grew up showing livestock and dogs, their photos are all over many website of proud breeders and farms that were excited to show off great accomplishments. They were listed in the FFA and 4H events, photos, newspapers, etc. There are many jr handler photos all over the web of talented children.

while the man contacting you was a creepy and definitely worth being weary and you should always watch your children even if people aren't calling your house, which I am sure you do and I am sure you are a wonderful caring parent, proven by your reaction....now go to the other side......

I think the way you handled it with the breeder was uncalled for. Why wouldn't you have just taken the time to explain why you would prefer her not to post the photo? How confusing and shocking to someone who was proud of your dog and child to get told to take it down immediately with no warning or reason. A slap in the face would have been nicer.

you have probably already burned that bridge or at least singed it. personally I think you owe her a sincere apology above your explanation.......if you care to continue any sort of relationship.

I do post photos sent to me of kids and dogs, but never with a name of either attached.

If you act before thinking you are going to get in trouble. Being a parent does not excuse un-polite and aggressive behavior. I would have cut you off too.