Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Urine smells in yard

I'm looking for suggestions on what works best to remove urine odor from the yard/grass. I've always had large property and this has not been an issue, and I've used Sweet PDZ and lime to neutralize the urine that burns the grass. However, it does nothing to get rid of the smell. With summer on the way, I can imagine the lovely odors that will waft through the open windows!! I've read some threads on using a bleach/water solution, but does that rid the area of the odor, or just eliminate the bacteria and will it damage the lawn? And if anyone has suggestions for types of grass seed that fare best with urine, I'm all ears!! Thanks very much for your help!

Re: Urine smells in yard

We ran into the same problem and then found Stall Deodorizer at our local feed/farm store. Works like a charm to destink any area.

A stall deodorizer? Isn't this the same as Sweet PDZ? Like the original poster I have used Sweet PDZ, Stall Fresh, multiple yard sprays, but the odors still exist.

I can't get Sweet PDZ in my area so picked up this stuff (granulated/powder form). It works really well, especially in areas which dogs like to use over & over and doesn't cost a bundle either..JMHO from personal experience.

Is the brand called Stall Deodorizer? I'm willing to try anything, as it is quite strong and pretty gross. Thanks!

ODOBAN used to make a yard sprayer bottle, but I can't find it in stores anymore. I would put odoban in a hose sprayer/diluter and spray that on the yard. I don't think it would kill grass...

What is Sweet PDZ?

Sweet PDZ is..................a stall deodorizer:

http://sweetpdz.com/

I'll check the name on the bag tonight and let you know what the name is in the a.m.

Found it on-line. Here's the info:

"Barn and Trailer Deodorizer

$ 8.89
•Designed for odour control of manure and urea from dairy cows, feeder cattle, horses, hogs, poultry and most other animals
•Excellent for use in dog kennels
•Reduces the fly population, fly larvae and maggots by reducing odour, ammonia and moisture
•Reduces the chances of ammonia and moisture related respiratory health problems for animals and stable workers"

It's on Page 5 of this link:

http://www.ufa.com/products/Animal-Care/37/Livestock.html#

Wonderful! Thank you. I appreciate the follow up! I'll let you know how it works.

YW. Not a problem - hope it works for you too!

Jeepers - What is the secret to even HAVING grass in the dogs yard. I have a pretty big yard but the Labs are always on a mission to make sure it is a dirt yard with plenty of holes to step into if I am not paying attention!!!!!!

Urine smells in yard

This is why I read this board. It's so informative and I don't feel so alone!

Lois, if you want really good looking grass AND have multiple dogs.............go with astro-turf!!!

I have used Sweet PDZ GRANULES for years and love them. The powder does not work as well. In the summer I need to treat once or twice a week. Maybe once a month in the winter. Maybe trying to put a heavier layer on? I do spread it so I can see it.

Sue Puff

Many thanks y'all! My local feed store has this I just found out - I need this badly!!!

Thanks for that heads up. I mistakenly picked up the powder PDZ and wow, I just got a bunch of it in my lungs and was coughing for an hour after applying it. I've used the granules before. Will have to do that next time. I also picked up Stall Dry. Is that the same thing?

Do you keep the dogs off of it for a while after applying, and, do you watch the weather to make sure rain isn't in the forecast? Sorry for the numerous questions, but I'm really hoping to reduce the ammonia smell. I love my boys, but man, do they stink. It's like the men in the house who use the toilet. Why can the ladies always keep things neat and tidy and odor free!!

I went out yesterday (after reading this post) and bought the Sweet PDZ granules. I have an oldie (13 +) that pees in my flower bed right off my deck. The stinky pee smell is awful !! I scattered the granules all over this area and was amazed the urine smell is gone!! We had rain last night but the granules are still there this morning.....so they don't disolve that quickly. I emptied the bag of granules into a bucket with a lid....have a cup inside and will reapply to the area as needed. Thanks for the tip !!!

Glad you found something locally. Using what I do, it's animal safe so I don't worry about the dogs on it but try not to put it out if it's going to rain which will dilute/wash it away. Good luck!