Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Handicapped Pets & Carts

Has anyone ever used a mobility cart for their dog? I'm considering getting one and I'm leaning toward one that is not custom made. It can be sold when no longer needed which can't be done with one made specifically for your dog. I'm interested in anyone's experiences in using a cart as well, pros and cons. Thanks for your input. Private e-mails are fine.

Re: Handicapped Pets & Carts

I haven't personally, but my friend used one very successfully with an elderly Border Collie. The dog was 14 when it developed hind-end paralysis (I'm not sure the cause), but was otherwise healthy so she opted to try a cart. It really improved the quality of the dog's life, and she lived to be 17, enjoying her cart to the point where once, at 15.5, she managed to escape from the yard and roam the neighborhood in her wheels for over an hour before being caught!

One thing about the carts is that the front end has to be strong enough to handle doing all the work of moving the dog around, so how effective it would be would most likely depend on what is wrong with the dog.

http://web.me.com/gbertocci/Canine_Wheelchair_Site/Canine_Wheelchair_Overview.html

I am very proud of my Alma Mater and the Wheelchair Project that is part of the engineering school. Since this is a custom but made out of readily available materials, you shouldn't have to worry about recouping costs.

Thanks for sending along the link. I went to their site, and it says their chairs are for medium dogs no larger than 70 pounds. My boy is 85+ pounds, so I don't know if their design can be utilized. I e-mailed them directly and hope to hear from them soon. Great idea & great project. You have every reaason to be proud of your university. Thanks again!

You are welcome, Kathy. I hope that this design can be modified to work for you.