Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Needing clarification

I am reading "The Labrador Retriever" by Dorothy Howe, and am now on chapter 13- "Labrador Coloration". I am finding these quotes quite interesting (Page 144, going into "And Other Kinds"):

In her book on the Labrador, Lady Howe mentions stripes of black on a yellow Labrador, and I have seen a puppy marked in this way except that it was grey with black stripes running around the body.

I have had all black litters most of the time, it's just the way it works out with stud selection, and have not, personally, seen a light black or "grey" puppy. HOWEVER, I have seen "stripes" on the coat, giving a grey shine, when they are born. This quickly fades by the time puppies are a few days old. I seen this also on the few darker yellows I have produced ( dark reddish stripes down their backs). Is this what is being described? Thoughts?

Also what gets my attention:
In past and present, there have been grey puppies of a lovely silvery color at whelping, but they very soon start to darken

next paragraph:
However, pepper-and-salt and grey puppies keep darkening; by six months of age they become completely black and never go off color again

Thoughts on what Mrs. Howe was speaking about?

This was pretty interesting to read, and find my self going back to re-read some tid-bits.

Re: Needing clarification

I think they don't want another war on the forum and I just feel bad that no one has answered you.

I asked an older breeder about the salt and pepper and she had had one with the color eventually turning to black. Some were shown as black until the white was too much on the black and they weren't allowed in the ring. It was called Snowflake.

The Stripes come in all colors though I believe the referance to grey and silvery turning darker is the discription of a light black or maybe a light chocolate. I have had the stripes in medium to dark chocolate.

If you have the book The New Complete Labrador Retriever, Chapter 6 Livers or Chocolates it discusses the light chocolate color with Topaz eyes. These lines were bred into the yellows way back in the beginning. It is very interesting to read these books

Yes, the stripes appear when they are born and disappear after a few days. I've had it both in black and yellows. Also read about it in MRW book and other old lab books - typical.

No war; just looking for more knowledge! Don't feel bad, it's understandable from the thread I read about like a week ago. I really didn't direct it toward that color, I was just interested in what long time breeders have seen, that would fit what she is speaking of.

Thank you! I found her comments very interesting as I have not seen a "light" Black (anyone aware of pictures of a lighter black, showing the difference?). I have heard discussion about different shades of blacks, so was wondering about that.

I don't have it, but it is now on my to-buy list! Time to go over to amazon and see about getting it!

Thanks again for taking the time, I appreciate it!

no wars!
I think they don't want another war on the forum and I just feel bad that no one has answered you.

I asked an older breeder about the salt and pepper and she had had one with the color eventually turning to black. Some were shown as black until the white was too much on the black and they weren't allowed in the ring. It was called Snowflake.

The Stripes come in all colors though I believe the referance to grey and silvery turning darker is the discription of a light black or maybe a light chocolate. I have had the stripes in medium to dark chocolate.

If you have the book The New Complete Labrador Retriever, Chapter 6 Livers or Chocolates it discusses the light chocolate color with Topaz eyes. These lines were bred into the yellows way back in the beginning. It is very interesting to read these books

You are welcome!
This is a wonderful book and full of pedigrees and pictures. It has some very interesting facts that are not in the other books and the colors of the first Labradors. Fox Red used to be Yellow and a kennel was breeding White way back then.
It also has some of the lines that came to the US.
Enjoy!

I have a copy of Dorothy Howe's book. I would like to know more about the "New Complete Book of the Labrador Retriever" Who is the author, publisher, date, and the ISBN. Thanks

The NEW Complete LABRADOR RETRIEVER
by Helen Warwick It has been printed 3 times 1964,1965,1986 It says the 2nd Edition was revised and I have the 3rd. It's published by Howell House, New York.
The great thing about the book is that she met and knew the old breeders from the other countries.
There are pictures of old dogs. I have been told that the Blaircourt dogs were where the Rottie was added but I think the photos in the book pretty much disprove that theory as they are slight in build, not overdone.
I found my copy while on vacation in Santa Barbara Good Luck on getting your copies of the book.
If anyone knows of any other good old books on the Labs I'd love to know.

No wars-Connie
I have been told that the Blaircourt dogs were where the Rottie was added but I think the photos in the book pretty much disprove that theory as they are slight in build, not overdone.
I found my copy while on vacation in Santa Barbara Good Luck on getting your copies of the book.
If anyone knows of any other good old books on the Labs I'd love to know.

Well unless you were told by the Blaircourt owners themselves you are just gossiping and perpetuating lies. I just love how people like to pass along "what they've heard" with absolutely no factual information to back it up. Anyone can say they heard this or that and several people can say they heard the same thing but that doesn't make it true. Without being able to know who said it to begin with you cannot verify it and therefore should not be passing along further gossip.

I though I'd said they were not built like Rotties from the pictures and I didn't believe what I had heard. I am so sorry and it's too late to delete it.
I will be more careful. Really I'm sorry!