Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
pedigree analysis

Being a horse racing fan and looking at pedigrees, I am curious about some things that I wonder if they apply to dog breeding also.

For example, in horse breeding seems to be well known that certain studs produce good sons but not good daughters. What is the science behind this? For example, I read that the stud Nashua produced good broodmares and sure enough in looking at pedigrees on some of the recent entries in the legs of the triple crown, you will only find Nashua daughters when looking back. Opposite with Mr. Prospector. Only his sons seem to be desired. You will not find any daughters of his in the winning pedigrees.

Re: pedigree analysis

YOu ask a good question. Think of it this way, a stud can only add one X or one Y chromosome. He gets that X from his mom.

It makes sense that if the stud you are thinking of using has a very nice mom, then he should produce nice females.

You can draw your own conclusions as to how this breaks out from here.

I think it still relies n the bitch line. I used a male from a NICE bitch with a strong bitch line behind her. My bitch does not produce nice females. I still did get nice females.

Not only may they produce stronger in one sex but also in one color....this is true.