Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
in season or not

I am dumbfounded. My girl that is due to come in season has me stumped. My boys are all after her. She is not swollen and has no discharge. Would you think she is still not in, but smelling good?

Re: in season or not

Yes. Some boys start going after the girls 30 days before they come into season.

Yup. My boys start following the girls, peeing on their pee, teeth chattering, a few weeks before she actually comes in.

Ok then I am watching her like a hawk. Thanks!!!

I would also be make that she doesn't have a bladder infection, sometimes the boys are fooled into thinking a girl is in heat because she smells different.

Success! Just got a spot of blood although she still isn't swollen. My smartest and oldest male just walked away from her after a few smells just now.
Calling this day one!

Glad your girl spotted. I wanted to add this warning!

We've had several silent heats with different females through the years. We have two pups from one right now, boo, and our other girl was smelling good to our boy. I took her in for a progesterone test and sure enough she was at 3.5. She is still in so we are keeping them apart as we didn't want to breed her until later this year.

The times they have bred on a silent heat the litters were two to three puppies. The Vulva does not swell!

I would love to know more about silent heats. I have a 23 month old who as far as I know has not come into season yet... But 2X now my boys have gone nuts over her, and it only lasts a day or two each time. No discharge, no swelling, etc..... I would think someone would have gotten her by now if she had a silent heat since I do have the intact males. Though I do seperate them as soon as I see interest and my Labs are always monitored and not left alone for extended periods of time..
I also have a female, now 4.5 yrs old, who has dropped one spot of blood the last 2 heat cycles and nothing more after that.. She does get engorged.. But it's strange since she has always had rather heavy spotting in all the previous cycles.. She has had 1 litter, but this started 2 cycles after that... These girls sure can be complicated.

One of my girls stopped showing signs of coming in heat and I though she was just skipping a season as she aged. Then I noticed my boy after her although it was the first interest he had shown. Since I wanted to breed her I took her for a progesterone which was 6.1. I had her bred the next day and she became pregnant, although only with 2 pups.

There isn't swelling. There is interest from the males. I have only one male now but he got a distant cousin two months after her heat cycle on the silent heat. My fault for not paying attention. She is a flirt. She had three beautiful pups though I would never had bred the two.
I have the males sister in silent heat right now and I sure hope she is over it soon. Her regular heats are about 25 days and her last heat was about 4 months ago. This heat has been almost two weeks.
The litters are small 1,2 or 3.