Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
State of NH doesn't like dogs?

We take our dogs to the beach every year up until memorial day when the "beach season" opens. This year we went to the beach and found signs that said "No Dogs Allowed" So I called the beach headquarters and they said as of last year no dogs are allowed on state property in NH...I am thinking of writing a letter to the state asking them to consider changing this law and was wondering what kind of support I could get from the lab world? Any advice? Any information I could use? Also how many of you take advantage of state parks, beaches and hiking trails? I am trying to find stats on this but am having a hard time. Also would anyone be willing to sign a potential petition against this law? TIA

Re: State of NH doesn't like dogs?

101 views but no replies? Does no one in the dog world have advice for standing up for your dogs? Does the dog world just roll over and take it when their pets are outlawed from all state property? I was hoping to find some sort of support from my fellow breeders but it appears that they don't care if their dog is allowed to play in the water and relax on the sand with their owner. I truly thought that I could have recieved support on here and am very disappointed to see that no one here cares.

I live in NYS and we have several parks that allow dogs to be on lead in and around the nature trails, but some areas are now off limits to dogs too. Aren't there any dog friendly areas to find in NH? A slow theme has been going on for quite some time concerning dogs(in public places) and irresponsible owners can take the blame for the most part. It's sad, but I understand noone wants their child, or any family member/friend attacked, or bothered especially in a public place that is supposed to be a relaxing time away from the norm. We are pretty fortunate in my town that dogs are greeted with smiles for the most part and I can socialize my pups and go into some of the stores with them. The nearby park(along the lake) is also open to dogs on leash. There is also a nature area close by that I can allow my dogs to swim in a clean pond off leash; however, I have encountered some nasty dogs off-leash that frankly have ruined that spot for me and I'm sure others. This is what happens unfortunately. Respect, of course for anyone uncomfortable around a dog, is paramount. I do let mine off lead to go swimming off the boat launch in town as long as we aren't bothering anyone. The crowd seems to flock when they see a friendly Labrador, especially a puppy. I would start by googling dog friendly parks, etc. for NH. It is a shame it is getting so hard to find places to let our dogs run their hearts out.

So far I have found 6 public dog parks in NH..and on the State Park website they list off 34 parks in the state that allow dogs, and then at the bottom of the page it says that the dogs are not to enter the park. Dogs are only permitted in the parking areas. What is the good of that? It is very unfortunate that irresponsible people have ruined it for everyone. When I spoke to the headquarters at the beach she said that "the tourists don't appreciate seeing dogs on the beach" What could be more beautiful than watching a dog run into the water to catch a frisbee? When we used to go to the beach it was always at the far end with the rocks, very undesirable to the tourists, so I don't understand why they don't like "the view" There are 3 or 4 other private dog parks in NH but you have to be a member and pay membership fees, which are very high making it less desirable to home owners. Also, thank you for replying to my post!

I don't head up there often with the dogs but I was surprised last spring (maybe April) when I took a ride just up to Hampton Beach that no dogs were allowed at any time. We ended up at Salisbury which has a designated dog section. It is definitely too bad but I am finding that even in MA our dog spots are getting more and more limited! My husband and I head down to Province town every year camping mostly because it it one of the few places around that is so dog friendly.

It is easy to understand why they don't like the "view." So few people actually bother to pick up after their dogs and they use the beaches and parks as big toilet areas. That is a view no one likes.