Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Vans.....

I don't scan this very often anymore so maybe I missed a topic on vans.... That being said I am looking to get a van for carting the pups to specialties..... I want to be able to fit 6 crates in because I usually carpool with friends but I don't want any bigger.... Does anyone have any suggestions? I would prefer to stay away from Chevy or GMC but am open to anything if I can fit 6 crates in it thanks for the help in advance!!!!

Re: Vans.....

The Ford E series vans have a great longevity rating. Mine is a 2003 and has 150,000 miles on it and runs great. Get a passenger van, not a cargo van - the insulation keeps the interior cooler on those hot summer days. The seats are easy to remove - kind of a latch and lever mechanism.

I've also got a Ford E-350. It's a 1999 model, turbo diesel, has 145,000 miles on it and going strong. It is also the passenger model with rear air. I love the van and hope it goes another 150,000 miles (has a good chance with the diesel engine). We keep it garaged when not being driven and looks virtually like new!

We are on our second Ford E series. The first one was bought used with 100k miles on it and we still got a good five years on it. Our next one we bought through Enterprise...was the best deal we found. Well made and reliable.

I have a full size passenger van (not a Ford) with the bench seats removed and I can only get 5 of the 24" x 36" size crates in it. I will not use a smaller crate for my dogs(unless it's a puppy). They are comfortable and able to stretch out. Maybe for 6 crates you would need the extended size passenger van?

Thanks everyone! I will keep those in mind! We don't keep enough show dogs for a cargo van so it sounds like what you guys have sound about right! Thanks so much for the input!!! :)

We have a 2003 Ford E-350 extended 1 ton cargo van (with a 7.3L powerstroke diesel- it gets 19-22 mpg usually) and love it. We bought ours used for 1/2 Blue Book.

We can easily fit 6 large crates in our van (probably more than 8 if we didn't put much else in and used the more narrow wire crates- I have seen breeders put 4 across the back and 4 just behind those facing the front)... but you'd really have to measure crates to make sure they fit in there and it depends on how you configure everything... space and packing is very flexible with a cargo van since the entire van is pretty much empty space and you don't have to worry about seat attachments, carpeting, or windows.

Right now, with a heavy-duty EZ up with walls, first aid/veterinary/breeding boxes, 2 tall ex-pens, a grooming table, 6 soft crates, a variety of bins (containing blankets, beds, extra food, tools/extra fan batteries, etc), 2 ringside chairs, a variety of grooming/showing/training equipment, and 3 wingers, we have only (4) of the 400 sized crates in there (but with only 2 dogs, it allows our dogs and some friends' dogs to go all over the place), all attached to and sitting on an industrial shelving unit that is bolted to the floor. I still haven't figured out my "perfect" configuration though. I think I'd like to get some drawers in there under the shelves that contain the crates. Maybe just cheap plastic bins for now though...

I also like having a vehicle devoted strictly to the dog activities... allows me to just put a dog (or 3) in and take off without having to worry about forgetting something, LOL. I know it's in there!

We actually found that my cargo van stays cooler when out field training in the hot southern California summertime weather than my friend's passenger van of the same style/type because her windows allow in far more heat/light. We even tested with a thermometer and mine stayed about 5-10 degrees F cooler mid-day, even without the extra insulation. The insulation DOES keep my friend's van much quieter when on the road, though. Mine has a lot of road noise due to lack of insulation. I did put down a roll of that foam floor matting and that did help a lot.

However, it is much easier to find a passenger van with rear A/C (though it can be installed in any van), and you can use a passenger van for passengers should the need arise. Right now, I can only transport my dogs/dog stuff (or a friend's wedding flowers when called to action), a passenger and myself. There is room for a 3rd seat between the passenger and driver seats if I wanted... maybe one of those heavy-duty "booster" type folding seats?

Just my thoughts/experiences...

Julie Oghigian
We actually found that my cargo van stays cooler when out field training in the hot southern California summertime weather than my friend's passenger van of the same style/type because her windows allow in far more heat/light.

A good point that I forgot to mention - make sure you get the full tinted windows! That keeps the sun's heat out. Also, I prefer the "barn doors" on the side rather than the sliding door, but that is just personal preference. I had to rent a cargo van after my previous van was wrecked and the interior sure seemed a lot warmer than the passenger van. Without the tinted windows I'm sure it would be hotter. But there is a lot more room in the cargo van.

Nissan now makes a very nice full sized van. Take a look. They are remarkably durable and retain value.

Our windows are tinted and I use the silver bubble wrap used for insulating hot water heaters and ductwork, cut to fit the windows. Works very well to keep it much cooler inside the van.

I have a 2008 Ford E350, 12 passenger. I can fit 5 crates along one side..then turn the 6th one. I have a platform that 3 crates sit on. that gives me storage under the crates for all my field training gear.
This is the 3rd E series..first 350. I love the ground clearance for going off road. Agree with Nancy, go with the barn doors. Tinted windows and front and rear AC very nice. My van has a gas engine..usually get about 13 mpg..
mine was bought used..about 4 months ago. 18,600 miles, $16,500.

We have a Chrysler Stow and Go with tinted windows. I can fit four large kennels inside with the seats down. I haven't had any problems with it til this year and it was some electronic things and it's five years old. It gets around 21 mpgallon. I think they make a smaller engine that would get better milage.
I don't know how large your crates are for the puppies but I love that Van for family too. Its a comfortable ride with comfortable seats. With the seats up you can use the space under the seats for suit cases and things.
I have hauled pups and reclined the drivers seat to sleep. The only thing I would have liked different was the back seat be a full bench that made into a bed for long trips.
I carry two seats of keys to leave the Air Conditioning on for the dogs. Keeping one dog in the front seat with a belt has seemed to keep anyone from stealing the van.