Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Ectopic Ureters

Can anyone provide experiences they may have had with ectopic ureters and their repair. Any doctors that may be well versed on the East Coast? I would appreciate any information that can be provided.

Re: Ectopic Ureters

Shannon Silver
Can anyone provide experiences they may have had with ectopic ureters and their repair. Any doctors that may be well versed on the East Coast? I would appreciate any information that can be provided.

http://surgerycancervets.com/about-us/dr-sadanaga.aspxorg

had a young pup with an ectopic ureter. Dr. Sadanaga did a procedure with a scope, where the ureter, which in this case came past the sphincter muscle, was sliced. It was a simple ectopic ureter. Girl is spayed and doing well in a pet home.

Just curious what the typical cost of this type of surgery is?

Breeder
Just curious what the typical cost of this type of surgery is?

I paid about $1000. Ectopic ureters can be very different from each other. Another puppy I know had kidney damage at 8 weeks, so the vet just took out the whole kidney on one side. girl is 8 years old now and doing well . Know of another where puppy was wet, then dry, then developed weird urinary tract infections and finally they found an ectopic ureter, which was repaired. that was more like $2000 I think.

I went to a top radiologist after my puppy had been treated for urinary infections etc. He was able to tell me it was a complex bilateral EU. The next step to determine if surgery could possibly be successful would cost around $1000. If it was determined that it was likely the EU could be corrected, the EU surgery would be an additional $2000 - $3000.

I wish I could remember his exact words but the gist of it was he did not think there would be a good outcome. By then I had already spent around $2000. Since I had no encouragement to think she would be OK, I decided I had to let her go. It was very hard.

first step was a good ultrasound. Dr. Curtis G. Schelling, VMD, MS, is wonderful.