Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Handling

My handler is charging me for expenses even though the dog was not shown due to lack of communication on both sides. The handler was coming to the show with other dogs and mine was going to be a ring side pick up.
One dog, communication problem equals I pay expenses for all the dogs on the truck. Is this fair? I'll pay of course. But the handler said they like to know how many dogs they are showing. I understand that but I don't think they came all this way to show just my little old one dog.

Re: Handling

Confused
My handler is charging me for expenses even though the dog was not shown due to lack of communication on both sides. The handler was coming to the show with other dogs and mine was going to be a ring side pick up.
One dog, communication problem equals I pay expenses for all the dogs on the truck. Is this fair? I'll pay of course. But the handler said they like to know how many dogs they are showing. I understand that but I don't think they came all this way to show just my little old one dog.

Why would you pay for all the dogs on the truck? That doesn't sound right. Some handlers will ask that ringside pickups also be responsible for portion of the expenses. Say the handler has 5 dogs on the truck and has 5 ringside pickups. They would split expenses between 10 dogs making it fairer to all involved. If everyone decided to just go to the show and have ringside pickups, the handler would be stuck with gas, hotel, parking, etc and that would cut into their profit. If you don't want to pay expenses, then find another handler that does not charge. Most handlers are beginning to charge for this since the economy has been so bad. The price of everything has gone up.

Generally handlers charge for all dogs equally handling fee + expenses. The ones on the truck pay extra for board. When you don't show for whatever reason, you are still obligated to pay the handling fee + expenses.

I think its whatever your written contract states, otherwise I wouldnt pay for expenses for all the dogs. From what I heard there was a handler in our state that was charging each client all the expenses, not dividing them between the 30+ dogs they had and I heard at least one of the clients took the handler to court and others left the handler.

There is a handler charging their clients way too many expenses. This handler takes out the assistants and wife out to nice steakhouses for dinner. All meals are being charged to the clients. Is this fair? What about taking his child to Disleyland while in the area during a show and leaving all the dogs in the hot van and charging Disleyland trip to their clients? Is this fair?