Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Old Dog Eating Rocks?

Found two 1-1.5" rocks in a pile puddle of watery vomit. Can't say who exactly did it, but surest bet would be that it was my old dog, who is 13. He hasn't ever had a history of eating or chewing anything odd, so he doesn't have a history of eating the rocks to being with. No changes in diet, but he is a senior, so maybe there is some changes within the body going on? Bowel movements seem to be okay, good and firm, but I am wondering if he is going with the same regularity.

Anyone had a senior just spontaneously start eating rocks or anything?

Re: Old Dog Eating Rocks?

Not seniors, but the only times my puppies (purchased, I don't have litters) tried to eat rocks were when they had coccidia or other illnesses, when treated the rock eating went away. I would think that he has something going on internally (stomachache?) to make him start now.

We did not realize she was ill at the point we saw our senior golden, who had never damaged a thing, begin chewing the baseboards. As it turned out, she was progressing thru hemangeosarcoma.

I suspect the stress of feeling changes in her body, having a young pup recently introduced into the household or even discomfort that we were not aware of could attribute to the behavior.

My Vet said she often saw pica develop when a dog begins to fail.

Hopefully just a brain fart for your older guy and nothing serious but I would consider a good workup by your vet if you see more dietary indescretions like this.

my neighbor's senior (12 y.o) mixed breed dog began eating wood. Throughout the winter this dog consumed a bench on a picnic table, porch railing, firewood. She also began acting odd & i advised my neighbors that it is possible their dog was going thru a dementia but that they should take her to the vet. They did not & today she seems to have recovered from her "beaver stage" & her dementia. I have no explanation as to why she recovered or what was going on to begin with. Odd but true.

Thanks for the input. Glad my thoughts weren't too out of line with others experiences.