Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Lease Terms for Female

I have a lovely 3 year female that is OFA Excellent, EIC Clear, Optigen A, Elbows Clear, Cerf Clear. I have been asked if I would lease her to breed to her CH and SH male so she can produce black puppies and loves my line. Her goal is getting a pick female that is black.

What is the going rate for charging someone whom you can trust to keep your female through a heat and breeding and whelping and then to keep how many pups for the Lease fee? I understand she must pay for all up keep medically and return my female to me healthy after puppies are weaned? I was also thinking od asking for one pup???? What do you all do or think is fair?

Re: Lease Terms for Female

Fair is whatever you and your friend agree on. Stay positive and you will come up with a positive agreement.

I dont know the benefit to you to do this but I think $8,000 is fair for a lease for one litter. If she got 10 pups and can sell them for 1500 each, thats 15,000.

Why dont you just breed your girl and sell her a pup for show for 2000. Just an idea.

A few months ago, I let someone lease a speciality class winning bitch for a 1 year period. Terms were $4000 or I could take 2nd pick and $2500. The choice was mine to make, depending on if there was something in the litter that I wanted. terms also stated only one litter. We are on the west coast.

The terms are whatever you agree upon with your friend. And still put it in writing. There is alot of work and love to having a litter. Alot. So be fair. Just counting how much a pup sells for is way out of being fair, to me. And what happens if two pups and a C-section. How will that be shared to be fair. More to it than meets the eye.

Also what happens if you lose your bitch or she has to be spade? Something to think about.

Breeder
I have a lovely 3 year female that is OFA Excellent, EIC Clear, Optigen A, Elbows Clear, Cerf Clear. I have been asked if I would lease her to breed to her CH and SH male so she can produce black puppies and loves my line. Her goal is getting a pick female that is black.

What is the going rate for charging someone whom you can trust to keep your female through a heat and breeding and whelping and then to keep how many pups for the Lease fee? I understand she must pay for all up keep medically and return my female to me healthy after puppies are weaned? I was also thinking od asking for one pup???? What do you all do or think is fair?

If you like the stud dog enough to ask for a puppy back, why don't you just breed your girl to her stud and give her a puppy back in lieu of stud fee?

I wouldn't lease a bitch out for a litter unless I really didn't care to breed her again, because once she's gone anything can happen. I don't ever want to be in a position where my bitch dies in someone else's care and I have to struggle through those emotions. Would I have done something different? Would she still be alive if she were here?

Good luck with whatever you decide.