Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
From a prior thread

"I dont know the benefit to you to do this but I think $8,000 is fair for a lease for one litter. If she got 10 pups and can sell them for 1500 each, thats 15,000."

Have I missed the memo? Are we selling puppies for $1500 each? And if this is true, are stud fees now $1500 (the cost for a puppy)??

Please share your experiences.

Re: From a prior thread

PNW is between $800-$1200. Stud fees from $800 to $1000.

Puppies go for $1500-$1800 in the south.
Stud fee: $800 - $1000.
Leasing a bitch for $8000/year sounds like too much. What if she only have 4 puppies and only 2 make it???? I've never leased a bitch, but sounds like too much money and not worth the risk.

I've leased bitches 3 times over the years. Each time (with a different owner) it was the same "price" - one puppy back to the owner. I did some of the clearances, depending on the age the bitch was when she came to me (heart on one, hips/elbows on a girl I took to show, then breed later) - but no one so far has wanted more than one puppy back, or the price of one puppy. Guess I'm lucky I have nice friends who don't take advantage of the situation. Usually we are looking toward the same goal - we both want a nice puppy out of a particular boy, but I had time to raise the litter and the other owner didn't.

Whatever floats your boat, but $8000 is absolutely ridiculous for any bitch's lease price!

I would love to know where in the South pups sale for that much. I know a couple who have gone to $1,500, they say. But most are no more than $1,200 and down. And $8,000 for a lease, are you kidding. Try sharing the litter and cost. Two pups back. Some money and a pup. Something fair.