Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
mom bleeding two weeks after whelp?

my girl is having a spotty blood discharge, fairly frank looking.......not very heavy, but maybe quarter sized to 1/2 dollar sized spots, occasionally, but I'm wondering if others have dealt with this, or if this is normal?

Re: mom bleeding two weeks after whelp?

I have seen that happen - yes.

If it's red blood I think a vet visit is in order. If it's the typical discharge, then it's probably OK.

HOw is your girl?

??
HOw is your girl?

still some discharge, but looking much less like "fresh" blood. thanks for asking.

Re: mom bleeding two weeks after whelp? SIPS

I had this with one of my girls a couple of years ago, it is called SubInvolition of Placental Sites,SIPS< and essentially they have frank red blood for quite some time.
My repro vet said it wasn't anything to be overly concerned with unless the bleeding was heavy,it wasn't but at first though even to me it was a bit disconcerting. It is just something that will take time to go away, in our case it was for 5 weeks, but by the end of the 4th is was very slight and not as frank red,by the 5th it was looking brown and then stopped. I gave my girl extra cooked liver to boost her iron and other than that she looked normal, no change in appetite and did a fabulous job nursing her babies.

Re: mom bleeding two weeks after whelp? SIPS

this is normal. Heavier at first and then lightening up until it stops, the smaller the litter the shorter it lasts. Women have bleeding after having a baby for weeks. Part of having babies. I wouldn't worry unless it is like hemorrhaging. Bedding needs to be changed often at first and then maybe once a day in a few weeks. Then of course the puppies start peeing and pooping in the clean box. Time for a pen and boxes