Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
shampo homemade vs store bought

i need a good shampoo that makes my labs smell good

i have read that one can mix white vinigar & dial anti bacterial clear soap.

we use dawn detergant to kill fleas

Re: shampo homemade vs store bought

I like to use Dr. Bronner's Castile soap. It can be diluted and it's all natural. It comes in many fragrances. If the girls are itchy then I use Peppermint. It also comes in Tea Tree, Lavender, and many other fragrances. Here are a couple links.

http://www.drbronner.com/DBMS/LS.htm
lisa.drbronner.com/?p=187

Add oils such as Peppermint, Eucalyptus or Penneyroyal. All work for flea deterents and smell good.

Do I ad the oils to any dog shampoo?

where does one get the peperment oils?

oil dangers, Re: shampo homemade vs store bought

Do NOT use Pennyroyal on pregnant bitch without checking on this: I was taught that it is an abortion agent on some doses.

Do not use Tea Tree Oil on dogs prone to seizures. Boy did I find out that the hard way with one rescue, only I wasn't sure until I read it. Some folks say Eucalyptus oil also brings on seizures in some dogs.

Haven't checked my facts, as science and wives' tales change, but my dogs want to go out NOW. Just be careful..

One quart Murphy's Oil soap
One half pint aloe Vera gel
One half pint witch hazel
Mix, then add water to your desired consistency.

No fleas, ticks or dryed out coats.

Tried this. It worked.

BTW, Dawn original blue dish soap is about the only thing that will get the grey oxidation from a metal cratepan out of a yellow coat.

As the owner of a grooming shop, I'd like to pass on that Dawn does NOT kill fleas...it paralizes them temporarily!! This also goes for all other dish soaps.

Agree! Dawn is very tough on the skin too. I only use it for stains in a yellow coat.

Thank you! I tried your Murphy's Shampoo and it is the best ever! The dogs coat is wonderful, no flaking!

Some got on my rough arms and hands and the old cuts and calluses rubbed right off of ME! I bathed in it and my skin looks ten years younger.

TY TY TY This stuff needs to be bottled!

I buy the Murphy's by the gallon...cheapest dog shampoo ever. I love Murphy's and will never use anything else on my dogs. It has citronella in it as well so does repel fleas, flies and ticks. Love the smell of it too..... Best part is it is 98% natural!!!

I like the Earthborn shampoo for everyday use but the best is the Murphy's recipe. Also Walgreens sell a cake hair soap that I like for myself as it does not strip out the natural oils, cannot remember the name of the darn thing but it is in cake form in a tin.

http://www.colgatecommercial.com/%5CColgateSite%5Cmedia%5CMSDS%5CMURPHY%20OIL%20SOAP%20LIQUID%201030.pdf

your point is MSDS?????

In response (and support of MSDS ), I would recommend looking at the section 8 in the attached link on Murphy's (contact with skin).

http://www.ppd.ufl.edu/pdf/msds/Murphy_Oil_Soap_Liquid.pdf

http://www.sciencelab.com/msds.php?msdsId=9927230

I would also recommend looking at the MSDS for for Potassium Hydroxide-while this product is not 100% potassium hydroxide it does contain a fair amount of it in its ingredients.

http://www.sciencelab.com/msds.php?msdsId=9927230

I realize lots of people use this for their dogs, but No Thank you for my dogs.

Potassium hydroxide isn't really dangerous in this formula. It's used in place of lye (sodium hydroxide) in soft or liquid soaps to "saponify" the oils. Lye+oil= hard soap. Potassium hydroxide+oil=liquid soap. Once the saponification process is complete, there is no free potassium hydroxide left- it changes the oil and the oil changes it, and together it forms soap.
I looked at the MSDS. It doesn't look particularly dangerous to me. Of course you wouldn't want to leave soap or shampoo in your eyes or on your skin. It recommends flushing the skin with water after contact, which is a normal part of a bath.
Still, as a soap nut, I prefer Dr. Bronner's to Murphy. It's good stuff!

I forgot to mention, I too, like the Dr. Bronners as well as one called Dr. Goodpet shampoo.

Lovely old Mane and Tail for my guys when they need it! Cleans them, smells good, doesn't strip the oils and cheap!!! With all the field work and traveling my guys do they can get filthy...especially with the variety of water they get in during training and tests. Used it for years. My young dog goes right from the field to the bath to the show ring.

Sue Puff