Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
OFA Fair

Hi,

I breed very seldom. Over the years have had mostly OFA excellent hips with a few Good. Just got back OFA results from a chocolate that I love several things about. Her sibs hips have come out excellent. Parents were good and excellent. She was rated Fair, our first.

What are others thoughts, procedure on Fair rating. If I decide to keep her, how do stud owners feel about a Fair?

Any thought, opinions appreciated.

THanks

Re: OFA Fair

Fair hips are a passing score and there isnothing wrong with a fair.

Yes, fair is passing. Absolutely keep her and feel good about it. Some popular stud dogs are OFA fair.

Keep her, don't think a thing about it. She passed. I have used my stud dog with a couple and also have used the well known stud dogs that are Fair. Look at all the famiy history around her or a stud boy. Fair happens !

BRDR
Hi,

I breed very seldom. Over the years have had mostly OFA excellent hips with a few Good. Just got back OFA results from a chocolate that I love several things about. Her sibs hips have come out excellent. Parents were good and excellent. She was rated Fair, our first.

What are others thoughts, procedure on Fair rating. If I decide to keep her, how do stud owners feel about a Fair?

Any thought, opinions appreciated.

THanks

keep would always use and keep a fair with a sound pedigree and those ratings around rather then an excellent who has failings or poor soundness all around it. Fair is normal and passing.

Have a fair which I have bred several times.

Her pups that have been checked have all been excellent.

Keep her without a second thought. With all that is surrounding her she comes from very sound stock. Down the road, breed her to soundness. With what we know about inheritance of hip dysplasia it's the best we can do.

so nice to see such positive post :O)

I would rather have a fair out of a litter of goods and excellents over an excellent out of a litter of fairs and failures.

breederx
I would rather have a fair out of a litter of goods and excellents over an excellent out of a litter of fairs and failures.

Well said and I totally agree!

Who said this fair bitch came from a litter of Goods?

littermates
Who said this fair bitch came from a litter of Goods?

Check the OP's post:

"Just got back OFA results from a chocolate that I love several things about. Her sibs hips have come out excellent. Parents were good and excellent."

How many Good and Excellent littermates?

Find a Good or Excellent stud you want to use and ask the owner if Fair is good enough for them. If the owner says no, you can always ask another owner.

Fair is passing. I have a fair bitch here and no stud owner has balked at it. I am also a stud owner and don't care if the hips are fair, as long as they pass.

Here in Iceland we rate them as being with A hips, B hips or C hips... of course A is the best and B also but C is passing here even though breeders are not too "happy" getting a C but it's still a passing (we can breed C to an A here in Iceland.
Like others have said, she most likely will produce goods or excellent's...
I know about a stud dog here in Iceland who was rated with C hips. He has 60 pups with 13 that have been hips and elbow tested and all of them have normal hips and elbows.
I also know about a bitch that has C hips and she has been used for breeding... she also has all her pups healthy on hips.
I also agree from one poster here... I would prefer to have a dog with Fair hips or C hips out of all excellent's and goods than an excellent or A dog out of all Fair or bad hips ;)