Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Potty training puppies.

Would you explain to me, (slowly) how you potty train your litters.
Thank you-

Re: Potty training puppies.

With my last litter, I had them in a 4x11 area. I had my husband build a little 2x4 area using wood about 2" wide on 3 sides, to help keep the shavings in, and 1 1/2" wide on the other, shallow enought to allow the pups to get in. Then I just filled if with shavings. The pups just naturally gravitated toward the shavings and were pretty good about going only there. In the future, I will have a bigger area for them to potty in, but I did the best with what I had.

at 4 weeks old my litters come out of the whelp box and into larger play area.
I put a plastic 24 x 24 rabbit cage pan in one corner and fill with equine pine fresh pellets.

at first only a few will get the idea, by week 5 they will all go in the general area, by week 6 they are 90% suing the box for all potty needs.

play area gets larger each week, blankets and toys at one end potty area at the other....works great!

I use a box similar to what has already been posted with shavings. As soon as a puppy is done eating I pick the puppy up and put him/her in the litter box. when they go potty I praise them. with a big litter you have to be quick. They get the hang of it pretty fast. good luck.

Great posts above, I use pellets in a rabbit hut tray from TSC. When pups go home, I send some smelly used pellets/waste in a ziplock. New families put it by their outside potty area. Voila! most pups never mess in house, go right away by familiar smelling area.

Great posts above, I use pellets in a rabbit hutch tray from TSC. When pups go home, I send some smelly used pellets/waste in a ziplock. New families put it by their outside potty area. Voila! most pups never mess in house, go right away by familiar smelling area.

I use the plastic pans that go under washers. They are about 40 X 40 inches. They are low enough for 3-4 week old puppies. You can buy them from Costco. For a large litter, I use two of them.