Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
baby puppy poop - almost three weeks old

my puppy poops were really nice, and now they're not. Puppies are still only getting mamma's milk. I did give them some puppy probiotics. Mom's stools are a little soft, but not runny. Puppies are eating a lot, lol - there are only 5 of them. Any suggestions?

Re: baby puppy poop - almost three weeks old

Think about worming them with Strongit-T. They are the right age.

In my experience also perfect age for coccidia to start creeping in

Did the probiotics coincide with the soft stools? It could be a result of a simple change to the intestinal bacterial population.

I had this happen with my current litter. I know the puppies didn't have worms or anything as I tested Mom right before giving birth and they were raised in the house. It could have been a veggie snack Mom ate or something. It firmed up on its own though you do need to keep an eye out just in case.

well
In my experience also perfect age for coccidia to start creeping in

that's what I'm wondering. going to order some Ponazuril tomorrow. will also maybe try some baby rice cereal. I hate bad puppy poop!

Stop the puppy probiotics

Puppy probiotics are the way to go. I have cured puppy diarrhea with probiotics alone, and they are good for the pupppy. No need to compound your G.I. problems with heavy-duty dewormers unless a stool sample shows coccidia, giardia, etc.
Dewormers are not the answer to every diarrhea problem! You can cause further problems giving dewormers needlessly....they are not benign substances.
The exception to this is that most puppies are born with roundworms ( get from their mother) so Nemex II, which is pretty benign, should be given every two weeks for several doses. The other parasites, not very common, but if you suspect parasites, bring in a fresh stool sample to your vet.
Pretty soon we are going to develop generations of puppies that are immune to all these dewormers we are throwing at them for no reason.

Like Robin, I have cured loose stools with probiotics. Most of the time I just give them small amounts of good quality yogurt several times a day. Also sometimes add pumpkin to their diet. In the worst cases, I lace the pumpkin with tiny amounts of Tylan powder.

To clarify, if you were giving probiotics and they developed diarrhea while on them, then stop giving them. If they got the diarrhea first then the probiotics can help. Too much probiotics can cause gas, diarrhea and bloating and sometimes bring in infection.

You might just be feeding the mom to much if you only have 5. Go slow with that also. Benebac will not hurt. And it is time to worm.

Time for Nemex II. Leave the big guns at home. Benebac is a good thing, just don't overdo or you will cause diarrhea. They're probably ready for food soon too.

thanks everyone for your commments. poops still not great, but started feeding a bit of baby cereal, gave some ponazuril, and will give strongid this week. Fingers crossed that poops improve!

they are eating too much and so is mom, this could easily be tested just by cutting back some. If that doesn't clear it up then look for other reasons. I always put a package of FortiFlora divided into two feedings a day mixed in with the mush, that helps the transition to real food. Seems like every litter starts to have loose stools at 3 weeks when they start eating food.