Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Joint supplements

Having tough times financially. I have had my 2 oldest girls (both with significant arthritis) on Cosequin DS daily. It's getting harder and harder to afford this. Any suggestions for something cheaper? I've thought about Costco or Sam's glucosamine. Any opinions on how to give them the joint support they need as inexpensively as possible?

Re: Joint supplements

Dasuquin with MSM (TABLETS, not "chews") is more cost effective because you only need to give 1 tablet. Prices vary greatly so shop around. I've always found the best price to be at www.vitasupply.com and I can usually find a coupon floating around.

Get a HA product , you will get more comfort for your dogs . Lubrisyn or similar.

I give mine a glucosamine with msm from costco, very affordable. I just toss a tablet in with the kibble, and they gobble it up.

I buy Nature Made, Triple Flex at Costco. I wait till the costco coupons come out then I buy them. I've been giving it to our 6 yr old since he came back to us almost 2 yrs ago. The long term meds he is on depletes the calcium and can affect his joints, causing early arthritis so I started him on Triple Flex 1.5 yrs ago. I've seen a huge difference in his ability to jump, get up from a down position, over all improvement has been impressive. I think for any kind of over the counter joint supplement to work its best, it needs to have all 3..Glucosamine, Chondroitin and MSM.

My oldies get Glucosamine HCL 1500 mg with MSM 1500 mg from Costco. They get 1 tablet with their kibble in the morning. The bottles contain 375 tablets. It is not expensive compared to what you are using. It works for my dogs. At least give it a try.

I was told by several MDs and an ortho vet, the chondroitin doesn't really do any help to them. the glucosamine and msm are helpful ( per MD and DVM )

My Ortho vet told me that dogs do not absorb 80-90% of hyaluronic acid, so they need large quantities of it,unlike horses who do absorb 80-90% of it.
The Spring Valley brand Glucosamine/Chondroitin from Walmart is the same as Nature's Bounty and that was rated by Consumer Reports to be on the highest for bioavailability amongst joint supplements. My ortho did recommended Dasuquin with MSM. I probably should price out the difference as you don't need to add anything with that one.

cd
I was told by several MDs and an ortho vet, the chondroitin doesn't really do any help to them. the glucosamine and msm are helpful ( per MD and DVM )

I wish I could say that glucosamine and chondroitin have helped my oldies but in 20 years I have never seen any improvement with any of my dogs.

I have a girl who had an ACL repair, and it did help her, it was noticeable. as with foods, and anything else, use whatever works for your individual dog. they are all different, just like us.

Hylasport canine, I've been using this for over a year. Has G/C, MSM, HA and Vit C, works the best, dogs love it (sprinkle on food) and very reasonably priced with free shipping. Excellent product and company! 100% satisfaction guarantee.

http://www.pupsup.com/Canine-HylaSport.htm

Hylasport Canine!!!! Great product. Great customer service! And they send a package of PEOPLE cookies with your order. I can personally recommend this product because my old boy has a new lease on life since starting this in February.

I use the Coseqin powder for horses and use just a tiny pinch a day. I done this for years. No ill effects. One small tub of powder lasts forever. I did this at the encouragement of a vet. So did not make this decision on my own.