Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Bred By Change

If 2 people co own the bitch and then bred her they are the breeders of record. My question is.....can one of the owners who was not on as a breeder at the time she was bred be added as a breeder or record now....as of now they are just a co owner and would love to show her in bred by class.
I hope that makes sense. (:

Re: Bred By Change

Wondering?
uestion is.....can one of the owners who was not on as a breeder at the time she was bred be added as a breeder or record now....as of now they are just a co owner and would love to show her in bred by class.. (:

No they cannot be added as breeded of record.

I really didn't understand the question but basically, who ever owns the dog at the time of registering the litter is the breeder or breeders. You can't change that fact. PERIOD.

That's the WHOLE point of bred-by - to be the owner (or lessee) of the dam and so be the breeder of record when the litter is born. There's no reason to even have a bred-by class if any co-owner can retroactively added as that dog's breeder after the fact!

me
I really didn't understand the question but basically, who ever owns the dog at the time of registering the litter is the breeder or breeders. You can't change that fact. PERIOD.

It's not who owns the bitch at the time the litter is registered, but who owns the bitch at the time of the breeding. If the breeding just took place a week or so ago, you can put in a lease agreement and date it just before the time of the breeding. As long as AKC receives the paperwork before the litter is to be registered, it should be ok. If the litter has been whelped already, I don't think it would be ok to try to put your name on the bitch now. If the litter is already registered, there is no way to do it now.

I think that's just semantics. The litter registration doesn't ask when the bitch was bred, it asks when the pups were whelped. I don't do bitch leasing, so I own the bitch the day she's bred and the day she whelps. It's all one and the same to me. I suppose if you were doing funky things with leasing etc. it would be wise to double check with AKC. But it boils down to you can show in BBE if you bred the litter. You can't change anything after the fact.

Re: AKC Rules to show in BBE class

from the AKC Rules Applying to Dog Shows:

SECTION 8. The Bred-by-Exhibitor Class shall be for dogs that are:
• Six months of age or older as of the first day of the show;
• Not Champions on the date of closing of entries for the show;
• Individually registered with The American Kennel Club as of the date of the show;
• Owned or co-owned by any of the breeders of record as of the date of the show.
The person handling the dog in this class must be a breeder of record and an owner of record of this dog.
In any subsequent classes for which a dog from the Bred-by-Exhibitor class becomes eligible, there are no restrictions as to who may handle.