Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Showing Vs. Breeding

Just to start a discussion, what are your thoughts on showing if you know you never plan to breed? You have a nice boy and show him, but honestly the odds of anyone using him unless he becomes the next "hot ticket" is slim. Unless you have friends with bitches. Or you have a bitch but just not the stomach for the breeding aspect. Does this rule you out of competing in the ring?

Re: Showing Vs. Breeding

Personally I don't think it should rule you out of the ring just because you're not going to breed them. Here in Iceland we only sell our puppies as "pets" but some owners like to take them to one or two or even more shows and I think it's nice to get judge opinion on some of the puppies that I breed

Heck no! In both cases, presuming the dogs are breedable, ie., no health/temperament issues, go ahead and have fun. You never know what lies ahead.

Of course you are going to get two sides of the coin in response. Some do have a problem with it because the dogs shown in conformation are suppose to be suitable for breeding. Another thought is that you are possibly taking points from a viable dog.

Which is silly since how many dogs actually DO get bred? And how many wait until they are CH's before they are bred.

And what about dogs WITH problems that prevent them from breeding. I would almost venture to say that if we removed those dogs from showing, we wouldn't have enough to make majors.

Those of course are all some things you wouldn't know until AFTER they've already been shown for a year or so. Knowing this before you ever show is completely different.

If he is nice, and could compete with the other dogs in the ring, then I say show him. Even if you don't intend to breed him, and assuming he is sound, it is nice to see what the sire and dam produced.

I have a much bigger problem with people who show dogs that aren't sound, or that they have performed surgery on to correct something in order to hide the fault and deceive the judges and other exhibitors/audience. The fact that they would consider breeding such an animal is far worse than showing a nicely made up dog that is sound that won't be bred.

What they hid (and therefore lied about) will show up in pups produced for generations to come...and that is unethical.

Exhibitor
Just to start a discussion, what are your thoughts on showing if you know you never plan to breed? You have a nice boy and show him, but honestly the odds of anyone using him unless he becomes the next "hot ticket" is slim. Unless you have friends with bitches. Or you have a bitch but just not the stomach for the breeding aspect. Does this rule you out of competing in the ring?

otto
Of course you are going to get two sides of the coin in response. Some do have a problem with it because the dogs shown in conformation are suppose to be suitable for breeding. Another thought is that you are possibly taking points from a viable dog.

A dog can certainly be suitable for breeding but not bred. There are lots of very nice CH boys out there that are never/rarely used. Should their owners have just not bothered to show/finish them?

Judges are only looking at the exterior, not what they produce, not what they carry nor what clearances or soundness they may or may not have. If you want to show and think your boy is worthy then go for it and have fun!! Dog showing is to evaluate breeding stock- doesn't mean they have to be bred, just that they are worthy of it.

Those Ch titles didn't come at a small price(travel and maybe paid handlers}. If they aren't quality enough to be used was it worth the expense? Do whatever you please, this is just one opinion that doesn't matter anyway.

This sport has evolved from just grading breeding stock to what it is today...a sport. Alot of money is invested in finishing dogs that are not always worthy of a breeding program and campaigning specials. So I am sorry if I disagree that this should be an event to soley grade breeding stock and only breeders should be participating. If we are honest with ourselves, we would admit it simply is not that anymore.

Right now we should be encouraging new people to participate in this venue...whether they want to be breeders or not. Who cares? We are viewed as an elitist past time and an aging one at that. Gee I wonder why??

Getting people involved who want to participate and have fun with their dog should be our collective goal as a fancy. They are learning about the breed while they are doing it and will be one more steward for this wonderful breed and for this sport.

I am not sure if you are aware but there is a war brewing to take away these simple past times and breeding our companion animals. We need to embrace all the education opportunities we can get and all the supporters we can get.

To the OP...absolutely show your dog. Have fun with him. Don't worry about breeding...there is no shortage of breeders breeding dogs. Enjoy yourself and build relationships. You never know, a few years from now you might change your mind and decide to breed a litter. Then again you might not. But that should not weigh on your decision to enjoy this past time. Go for it!!!

I say go ahead, show your dog and have a blast. You never know what doors it may open for you. I was in the same situation as you, after showing my boy, I caught the "show" bug and met alot of good friends while doing so. Added more dogs to our family and now I just bred my first litter this year. Of course this has all happened over 8 years, but it's been the best 8 years of my life.

If people only showed boys that were potentially Potomac winners and "hot studs" there sure wouldn't be very many boys in the ring.

I had 2 finished males and was the secretary of our local all breed kennel club and also for our National Breed club, (Canadian) before I ever planned a litter.

Have fun with your boy and enjoy this wonderful fancy. So few newcomers seem to be keeping this hobby/sport alive. Its nice to see you here. :)

In my opinion, not enough breeders keep nice males and show them, or keep them for breeding purposes. I say show him!

Great thread, and so very nice to see the positive comments and encouragements, especially those directed to people new to the Show world! This is perfectly typical of my situation. I co-own a beautiful boy, I have owned labs for 20 yrs and have never bred, performance as opposed to showing... I have been involved in my Lab Club and an Obedience Club for many years. When I choose a conformation boy I specifically wanted to get involved in showing, and my breeder was very supportive. I have loved going to the Shows and meeting other breeders, seeing the beautiful dogs out there... and I am so very proud of the Championship and Titles I have put on my boy, he is great credit to my breeder and is out and about and being seen by a lot of people, an ambassador for the breed in many venues. I will not use him, my breeder has the option but probably never will. I don't really care if he is ever used and do not promote him. I will occasionally put him into a local Show or Specialty to support the Show and I love being in a line-up of breeders and dogs that I admire greatly. The knowledge of the breed and friendships I have formed by entering the Show scene have been the best. I have never felt that I have been looked down upon or not welcome because I am not a breeder".

Exhibitor

Show him and have fun doing it!

Gor for it! We all start somewhere, so go out and have some fun!

Like many others, I've been showing and competing for 10 year and just now bred my first litter. Technically, it took me 3 dogs to get my first Champion. The first dog I walked into the ring with, while a handsome specimen, was pet quality and was never bred. But we went on to compete in obedience. My second ended her career with 10 points and both majors, but she failed her elbows, so she also was never bred. I also retired her from the ring because she isn't sound and it's my personal motto to only show sound, breedable dogs. Doesn't mean they will get bred, but if they don't qualify as breeding stock, I just don't think they should be there.

We all have our different motivations for showing, but above all have fun and make if fun for your dog! Don't get bogged down by the politics and gossip. Afterall, it's just a dog show.

Linda@Staghorn
I had 2 finished males and was the secretary of our local all breed kennel club and also for our National Breed club, (Canadian) before I ever planned a litter.

Have fun with your boy and enjoy this wonderful fancy. So few newcomers seem to be keeping this hobby/sport alive. Its nice to see you here. :)

Me too!

I had 3 finished males, put 4 rally titles on my dogs, got all of my dogs therapy certified, and put 2 hunt test legs on one of my boys before ever breeding a litter.

Have fun with your boy. Meet new people. If you only ever show one dog, it's going to give you great memories and good friends. Beware though, you may get sucked in like I did. :-)