Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Advice Needed/HELP!

26+ years & we now have our first complaint about my dogs barking early in the morning. It all started because my husband complained to the HOA that runs the condo's next door about beer bottles showing up in our yard now that the pools is open. We were there 19yrs before them..anyway the animal control officer is on our side. We have to keep a log of when our dogs go out & we have to go out with them, if that doesn't work...we have to video tape them?? So along with the log now I want to video tape them. What is a good inexpensive video camera to buy? I need date & time to show up. Private emails to debi.richardson@atk.com will work for me. THANK YOU GUYS!! I am sick over all of this & hubby won't move.

Re: Advice Needed/HELP!

I don't have a brand, but maybe you can get a wireless web cam? That way you can put the camera outside and hit record and just let it tape onto the computer? I would image they have those.

GoPro,Re: Advice Needed/HELP!

The most amazing little cam right now that is unbelievable rugged appears to be the Go Pro. You may have seen some of the commercials. I don't know if it is what you want, but it sure is small and portable--you can even put it on the dogs with the right accessory.
http://gopro.com/
Another idea would be the nanny cams.

Meanwhile, check your noise ordinances. Make sure the dogs are not barking in the quiet hours. There are places where you can run construction equipment or rip down a house at 7 am but dogs can't bark until 8 am. Other places, even 2 minutes of continuous barking or a half hour of on and off barking gets you in trouble.

More importantly, if beer bottles are coming over the fence, then who knows what else could be lobbed over the fence and be too small to be seen by the cam? One meatball, one Tylenol, and you lose a dog. I think I'd have some netting up if a trellis is allowed, making that side of your yard more like a golf practice range! Or have a very long outdoor netted gazebo if that is allowed, to give roofing on that side.

I think the idea of a camera, and a sign saying the premises are under video surveillance, might be a good preventative for worse than beer bottles. Check with an attorney.

It may be hard to move in this economy. Good luck. Keep the dogs safe. Going out with them and videoing seems like a good idea.

web cam , Re: Advice Needed/HELP!

I have no idea if this is suitable, but for ten bucks, there is a Sharper Image Web cam on sale at Bed Bath and Beyond.
http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=18172771

The rating on the $10 Sharper Image Webcam isn't great.

I suggest spending around $60 for a small, hand held webcam. They go on sale all the time and you get 60 minutes straight of filming time minimum. Loads of electronics companies are making them. You could do a Google alert for when they are on sale.

If you have a smart phone, they usually have filming capabilites. That might be all you need at no cost.

What you're going through sucxz but maybe squeaky wheels get too much grease. It sounds like your husband may have squeaked too much about the beer bottles and someone is after him for it. :-( I could tell you a long, similar story that happened to my DH's family but I'm sure you get the idea.

Thanks for the suggestions. Yes that is one of my biggest fears is someone poisoning my dogs. I worry about lit cigarettes being thrown over when they are outside, its a Lab they catch everything. The pool has a camera & I now know that they are watching it so I think the tossing over the fence days are over....now the barking that doesn't happen...I have been out with them the past 2 mornings, not one peep.

Get a video security system at Costco You can also cover the front yard and catch whomever is throwing the beer bottles.

Most pools don't use ottles for liability reasons. Why aren't they using aluminum bottles?

How about just put barking collars on the barkers?