Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Scale for older dogs?

Did not want to hijack Annmarie's thread. What does everyone use for older puppies/adult dogs for weights. The digital one I had did not seem very accurate and the rubber feet kept falling off.

Re: Scale for older dogs?

I don't weigh them that often, but my vet has a scale in the waiting room and has no problem with people ducking in to weigh their dogs (no appointment needed and of course no charge). It's only 2 minutes from my house, so that's easiest for me.

Thanks...yes, I can weigh at my vets as well..but I live an hour away so not quite as easy to just "duck in". When giving worming and heartworm I would like to have a scale handy...especially for young/growing dogs whose weight does change from month to month.

Here is a crude way to guestimate weight within a couple of #s. If you have a strong husband, partner, teen or adult child capable of lifting alot of weight carefully try this. Have the person weigh themselves 1st; then lift the dog in both of their arms balanced fairly well and they step on the scale. Some-1 else records the amount as the lifter can't see past the dog. Subtract the 1st weight from the 2nd weight. You have his weght or hers. We did this once before a vet visit. We rechecked our 91.5# boy on the digital vet scale and the difference was only 1.5#s less then at home.

No wisecracks necessary. I'm trying to help those of you 1 hour or more from your vets scale needing an approximate weight. I'm sure we're not the only breeders that have tried this. If some-1 is strong, it works just fine. If you have a bad back, shoulders or knees refrain from lifting a large,heavy dog.

This thread proves an interesting point about the dog food industry and the falsehoods they wish you to believe.

If in fact the dog food companies were thinking in the best interest of your dog, then they would perform scientific studies.

With the science behind them, there would be consensus on what to feed at any age.

hmmm, do you think there is consensus?

Are you seeing what really is going on and the dog food companies are not selling science but rather selling us on the emotions? Puppy food for babies, active formula, Senior formula etc....

it is all a bunch of crap. We still line up and pay a fortune for left overs