Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Senior dog food?

Those of you who have older dogs, do you feed them senior dog food or something else?

Re: Senior dog food?

I never have (lost a 15 year old last summer and now have two that are 13). We just keep them on the same thing they've been on, but are careful to lower the portion sizes as they become more sedentary.

I don't think there is usually any need to switch, unless maybe you are feeding a very high protein performance food more suitable for very active dogs or something. We tend to feed middle of the road formulas in terms of protein and fat and our guys have done well on it.

I don't use senior food either. I don't think it has enough Omega6 & 3 and has too much fiber. I didn't like the way their coats (expecially my blacks) looked. I feed Drs. Foster & Smith adult Lamb & Rice. I used to feed Merrick Cowboy Cookout. I'm happy with either but with F&S every 10th order is free and the WDJ rates their food facility as superior.

Thanks for the answers! I am feeding my 8 year old senior at the moment and she has done well on it... but had been hearing some different stories about feeding senior dog food so I decided to ask. I might switch her to regular adult dog food though...

I have a lot of oldies, and I just feed them a premium maintenance food, I give a glucosamine/msm supplement also.
I just had my 11 1/2 yr old girl in for a mastectomy,( she had a breast lump ) and my vet did full panel of labwork, xrayed her heart, etc. first, and said she was in remarkably good shape for her age! he said her labwork was perfect, heart normal, etc. Her sight, hearing, mental status are all same as when a young gal, she also had an ACL repair at 1 yr of age, and is still sound, no noticable arthritis!

I believe senior dog food is a gimmick, just like large breed dog food. It's got more fillers and you get less nutrition for your money. It's also based on old theories that seniors need less protein - newer research shows that seniors do better with more protein. I feed ProPlan Performance to all of my dogs.